How to form-find by creating surface geometry that adapts to the site context

Hi all!

I’ve been playing around with Kangaroo2 to create an arch network generated over a ‘perimeter surface’. I can generate more forms manually using Rhino and then reference that into the surface component to create new arch networks but I’m hoping to do that in a smarter or parametric way. to be clearer my intention is to dynamically form-find the base surface (for example it creates a geometry that avoids the neighbouring trees) so that it affects the corresponding arch network.

I wonder if anyone can give me some tips how to do that?

-I have been thinking Kangaroo’s spring based simulation would be helpful in this…but I’m also thinking it’s possible with attraction and repulsion like in Boids or Flocking. Not sure how to create an enclosed geometry from that though!
-I’m not well-versed in Galapagos but could it be potentially used here?

If it’s any help I’m really inspired by this project here, from CITA : UtzonX 2014 - Catenary Arch Network (Minimum Spanning Tree Form Finding) on Vimeo . As you can see I’m doing a much simplified version…

Any help or tips would be kindly appreciated! !
catenary vault network_question.gh (37.3 KB)

@AndersDeleuran work is referenced above;)

1 Like

It’s probably not going to help much, but I did write (a pretty rushed/poor) article describing this pipeline. It can be found from page 75 here (note that all my headlines somehow went missing when they typeset it):

https://vbn.aau.dk/ws/portalfiles/portal/245532700/Bricks_Systems_online.pdf

2 Likes