How to find a center of rotation?

Hi @DiegoKrause,

Here is a Rhino 6 Python plugin that automates finding the Centre of Rotation. It has one command: CentreOfRotation2D.

It only works in the standard Top, Front etc views, not in Perspective (I might try that one later). When you use it you are prompted to pick two points on the first item and the matching two points on the second then it does the rest. Provided imaginary lines between the matching points on the two objects are not parallel you will end up with a new point at the centre of rotation, with a Text Dot marked “CoR” over it to make it obvious where it is…

This is my first attempt at Python and, indeed, my first work with Rhino automation, so it isn’t going to be a shining example of coding, but it seems to work. Use at your own risk!

CentreOfRotation.rhi (1.9 KB)

Install by closing Rhino and double clicking on the .rhi file. It won’t appear on toolbars or menus because my skills don’t extend that far yet - after installing I eventually added it manually to the Analyze menu.

Jeremy

1 Like

woooooow thankyou so much! how can I hit the like button a hundred times? haha I will test it soon