How to draw a line on a complex surface in grasshopper?

i want to draw a line with a certain starting vector ( which should constantly change according to the curvature of the surface ) and a certain length, kinda like a lineSDL component, but on a complex surface… is there any way to do that? or any plugins?

thanks in advance!!

Hi @Bhone_Mo_Win_Khet

Have a look at this discussion.

1 Like

See attached

Brep_CcxOnCurvaturePlane_V1.gh (231.0 KB)

1 Like

@Erik_Beeren , @PeterFotiadis , thank you for your answers… ^^
But i’m afraid these are not what i’m trying to do…
i have a very complex and weird shape generated by ai, and i want to build it with wood, so i’m trying to figure out the metal- strip joints, (the stitches)… (please kindly refer to the image attached…)
the gh script i attached, kinda works, but not exactly how i wanted…
What i wanted to do is give a certain initial direction and control the length of each and every one of these strips in such a way a metal strip would wrap around the shape of a given object in real life …
i hope it makes sense… ^^
20220308 - strips.gh (5.7 MB)

Well … the attached C# (just an entry lever indicative demo, that is) does what you’ve asked.

For the blob captured … you’ll need several lines of code in order to do it “automatically” (in some sort of “optimal” way) … if this makes any sense: i.e. the amount of time to write the code is not justified at all > do it by hand instead (unless you do several different things like this day in day out).

BTW: Why metal stripes? There’s 2 part wood epoxy glues around (applied on a male-female part ends basis) that … blah, blah. On the other hand if that was some sort of AEC Load Bearing capable item/part there’s other far more rational ways to do it (say: a truss (*) that looks like a blob etc etc).

BTW: why AI? what could be the difference if that thing was made “by hand” ???

(*) like this:

1 Like

Why don’t you use cylindric plugs to join the objects? Assumig the objects will be 3D printed, subtracting a hole is the easiest solution. Depending on your tolerances and materials, this should be doable.

20220308-pins.gh (8.0 MB)

PS: 3D printing… I have not really looked at the size of the object :slight_smile:

2 Likes

-yeah, I’ll probably just find other ways to do it,… by hand

-we’re trying to carve out each part of it, from a block of wood using ar glasses, so we don’t want to risk having to dump out a whole piece because of some stupid misalignment problems by doing it the male-female- glue way

sorry for the confusion, it’s actually not ai, just a topology optimization, my bad, bro
thank you for your time… ^^

Interesting! Post some images…

1 Like

thanks, bro
i really appreciate your time and effort for the script,… ^^

Yeah sure, i’ll post some when we start doing it,…

I know you plan to use AR glasses, but I thought you might also be interested in the work @osuire is doing:

4 Likes

and compas_wood.

https://ibois-epfl.github.io/compas_wood/latest/description.html

3 Likes

Elementary my dear Watson: Use mini plugs/inserts (at least 3 per common BrepFace). In any case forget metal stripes (and the likes). Use GORILLA Two-Part Epoxy.

1 Like

Are you using fologram? And hololense? What cutting tools are you using?

@Adam_M yeah, seems very interesting!!

@dharman we are from a somewhat under-developed country, so we don’t have crazy high-tech tools,…
just trying to find ways of using hololens to work with the local carpenters with their preferable tools and methods, …

@PeterFotiadis yeah,… we decided to go male-female way,… haha, thank you for your suggestions

1 Like