How to design a Jighead (pyramid with bent edges)

Hi there

I’m struggling to design a dartjig (fishing weight). lofting the surface seems not to work or doesn’t create the exact surface I want to create.

I don’t need the hook, nor anything embossed, just the body.

Can anybody help me?

Here’s a picture of a dartjig:

Check this video to see the shape in 3d (it’s the one in the middle): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuFaclf3UJk

Here’s my unsuccessful attempt:

Dartjig_1.3dm (3.4 MB)

Thanks for any advice! I’m kinda new to Rhino.

Hello - is this shape more or less what you are after?

Dartjig_1_Maybe.3dm (434.5 KB)

-Pascal

Hi Pascal
Thanks for your help. Unfortunately I can’t open the file since I’m working with rhino7.
Could you save it that I can open it?

From What I can see in the small preview picture its close to what I’m after. Only the bottom is also a bent surface not flat.
Thanks!

Hi -

You can find two file converters from this topic:

Here’s Pascal’s file in the Rhino 7 version:
Dartjig_1_Maybe-RH7.3dm (434.5 KB)
-wim

1 Like

Thanks @wim @pascal for your help.
Yes, the shape comes quite close to my idea. But the tip is too pointed and the underside should also be curved, not flat.

1. What was your approach for this design?
  2. How could I add the missing things (rounder tip, underside curved)?

Thanks a lot!
Gabe

Dartjig_try.3dm (399.9 KB)
I used your original guide curves. Not sure if this is what you want, but some commands:

1. You should try Sweep2, which can allow you to create a surface by “sweeping” a curve along 2 other curves.
  2. You can also use Patch to create faces.
  3. FilletEdge will give a curved edge.

Hello- I was not making it for you - you know the design - just trying to give an idea how to proceed.

-Pascal

Thanks a lot @andreaw I’ll try that.

@pascal
Of course. I was not expecting somebody making it for me. I’d like to learn.
But to understand what you did I need to know the commands/tools you used. Is there something like a timeline in Rhino with which
I can see how you did it?

something like this?

just simple deg 3 curves to make the shape in wireframe, then edgesrf using 3 input curves-

then a boolean to add the “b” and shrinkwrap with a slight smooth on it to add the fillets and inside corner blends.

simple pipes for the hook details.

the beauty of this, zero trimming or nonesense… everything is just overlapping- shrinkwrap handles the “merge” and softens the part, resulting in a watertight part ready to print.

ANNNND… the original nurbs parts, since they are not trimmed together, (or even joined for that matter are super easy to modify if the 1st print needs to be iterated.

mashing stuff together, then shrinkwrapping it for prints has become my new favorite way to concept model. Super fast, super easy to modify later, all billable…

win, win, win.

I included the base surfaces in the file, simply turn on the points and scale, stretch, smoosh, or modify to your hearts content.

Dartjig_1_ktry.3dm (3.6 MB)

1 Like

Hello- If it is about the right thing, I’ll outline the steps I used to get there. Oftentimes I guess wrong.

@Captain_G see if this does any good
Dartjig_1_Maybe_Steps.3dm (555.4 KB)

-Pascal

@pascal Yes you got it right. Thank for outlining the steps you used.

All the best