How to Delete a Custom Material

I accidentally clicked the + button on the material’s editor window.

How do I delete custom materials I had no intention to create?

If I select and click I just get a beep.

Right click on it. Select “Move It To Trash”

I am using a trackpad. I am getting nothing right clicking ().

(Dan Belcher) #4

I am also using a trackpad and I have no trouble “right” clicking (two-finger click) a Custom Material and selecting Delete Material from the drop-down.

Hmmmm, I get absolutely nothing “right” clicking on any material. I have to “right” click on the object to get that point.

I have version 5.0.2.

(Dan Belcher) #6

Ah, my mistake, sorry. I was testing this in a RhinoWIP. This bug should be fixed in the 5.1 update…coming very soon. Please let me know if you are still seeing it in the 5.1 update.

Is there any way to delete a material with RhinoScriptSyntax?

(Dan Belcher) #8

Are you trying to reset the material to the default material?

No, I am trying to remove the material from the “Model Materials” section of the Materials window:

I want to remove the “Unnamed” material here. Here is a section of my script:

index = rs.AddMaterialToObject(obj)
rs.MaterialTexture(index, filename)
rs.Command("_ComputeVertexColors")
rs.ResetMaterial(index)
# I would like to delete the material I just created here

(Dan Belcher) #10

@pascal Do you know of a clever way to remove a material from all objects? I don’t think we can get around the fact that Rhino for Mac’s material editor is not going to refresh even if you can.

(Pascal Golay) #11

Hi Dan - setting objects to get their material ‘by layer’ would restore the default state. Is that what you mean? You can’t have no material though - it would either be the default material, by object, or the layer material.

-Pascal

(Dan Belcher) #12

Yeah, that’s what I thought. I think this is simply a bug in Rhino 5 for Mac. The material editor is obsoleted in Rhino 6 for Mac, so there’s really no bug to log. But this is a limitation. That said, once the material editor is restarted, I bet the list of objects “resets” after a call to ResetMaterial.