How to create this kind of structure

Hey,
Hope you’re all doing fine

I’m learning grasshopper and I’m trying ot reproduce some organic shape for use , and would like to understand how this is done :
Implementation5 Implementation11

it’s linking each point to each others so not delaunay triangulation aand also how to "round the edges to be able to create that path between building ?

best regards

Hey @chaghal.amira,

Hope you’re doing fine, too.

If I had to guess, I’d say that the woolly paths (or edge-bundling) simulation from your first reference picture, was probably done with Processing and the geometry from the bottom picture reeks of mesh modelling. My guess would be that it was hand-modelled in Maya (or any other polymodelling app) and that the woolly paths simulation was just a pretext to go nuts with the poly-modelling. :wink:

As you can see, your reference project probably has very few to do with Rhino and Grasshopper.

However, there are a couple of edge-bundling Grasshopper definitions out there, I believe. Simply search this and the old forum.
For the rest, Rhino and Grasshopper are really not the way to go. Modelling this in Rhino would be way too tedious and take you forever, and setting this up in Grasshopper would be a nightmare (even “impossible”).

2 Likes

hey ,

Thanks for your answer, yeah I get it , I’ve been trying to get it right in grasshopper but it didn’t work out this greatly so yeah as you said it must be organic or poly modeling in max or maya with smoothing modifiers applied on it.

Thank you a lot again for explaining it :slight_smile:

Best regards

1 Like

It looks like it has been generated by doing a shortest path analysis on all the journeys shown in the first image by straight lines through all the roadways in the city. Then curves have been drawn through these shortest paths and made thicker according to amount of traffic. These curves have then been used to generate a mesh or surface structure.

Reading about Shortest Path might be interesting.

As for how the mesh is generated from the curves… I think there are a lot of techniques being used there to thicken and shape curves and make them weave over or under each other. You would probably be better off defining your own strategy.

1 Like

using anemone and point charge i think you can get what you want, by dividing the curve and using your attractor points as a point charge while looping, then interpolate the points .kind of structure.gh (21.0 KB)
try to adjust the division according to the amplitude.
Best,

2 Likes

THANK you all of you for your advices !
Mohamed ,thanks a ton for explaining and sharing the definition,was kind trying for the second picture to get right but yours is better, I will try to study the algorithm and progress on that base.
take care everyone
Best regards

3 Likes

Wow finally didn’t know about this concept ! Thank you very much Laurent :smiley: that’s what I was looking for excatly and thank you everyone who contributed , I find it great to achieve one thing with many means in grasshopper

Take care everyone :slight_smile: