How to create a 3D Delaunay surface

Hello,

I’m trying to create a pipe Delaunay structure to 3D print, ideally one in which the higher the gradient the smaller the triangles, to differentiate it from a regular triangle mesh and give it a more structural character. Recently my school changed to rhino 6 and I can’t find a way to translate a 2D Delaunay into a 3D double curvature surface.

In a past discussion forum I found a reference to a plugin called MeshEdit which contains a component called “3D Delaunay”, but it only seems available for Rhino 5

I also downloaded a plugin called SuperDelaunay and worked around one of their tutorial codes but I’ve not been successful in translating a 2D code to 3D

surface for delauney mesh.3dm (421.4 KB)
SuperDelaunayTest 3.gh (10.9 KB)

All the help is much appreciated!

1 Like

Have you tried it? It works for Rhino 6. I haven’t tried it yet in Rhino 7.

SuperDelaunay uses a 2D Delaunay algorithm. I will clarify this in the description.

Try with MeshEdit.

Have you tried TriRemesh in Rhino 7 or WIP?

Hi @Dani_Abalde maybe I’m mistaken but when I go into food4rhino MeshEdit is only available for rhino 5, or does it work in Rhino 6 if I install it?

Hi @martinsiegrist, we only have Rhino 6 not Rhino 7 :frowning: I don’t see TriRemesh in Rhino 6

besides this, I found an old discussion where someone brought up a similar topic and someone suggested “you are after a Del solver that could accept a Surface as “guide” (for instance your tube like facade, the roof etc etc)” However the discussion was never continued. Don’t know if this might be a dead end or not?

It says that the platform is Rhino 5, but it doesn’t mean is only avaliable for Rh5, almost everything that works for Rhino 5 works for Rhino 6 or 7 as well.

It sounds like maybe you are after a mesh on a curved surface rather than a volumetric mesh (instead of triangles covering a surface, a volumetric mesh would be tetrahedra filling a volume).

Here’s a mesh with a sizing gradient in R6

sized_mesh.gh (231.3 KB)

2 Likes

That’s why I wrote Rhino 7 or WIP. You could download and try the latest WIP

1 Like

@DanielPiker Thanks for the reply! is there a way to control the density of the mesh according to the gradient? and/or is there a way to pipe the mesh? I ask because I’m only used to work with curves not meshes

Yes, you can define any gradient you like.
In that example I showed it with the gradient in the Y direction.
To use something different you need to create a value for each point of the input mesh according to its location.
Here’s a file showing examples of sizing by surface u parameter, or by proximity to a point
sized_mesh2.gh (233.4 KB)

For piping the mesh edges in R6 you can use the .gha from this post

4 Likes

I never understood the Remesh by Colour component but this here is a good example. Thanks Daniel!

1 Like

@martinsiegrist at this point just for curiosity where can I get the WIP version of Trimesh? I found NGON plugin, seems to be very good for what I am trying to do.

@Dani_Abalde you where right it does work in Rhino 6 as well, I guess now I know. on the other hand I am sure that I am doing something wrong, I feel the problem is establishing the surface as the boundary for joining the points, right know the Delaunay is connecting all points together. I know @DanielPiker already solved the issue with another method but I would still want to know if there is a solution with this approach?

1 Like

Many thanks @DanielPiker! you really solved it in no time!

Not wanting to be someone to abuse here, but since I’m studying architecture I was interested in knowing if there is a way to link the tessellation or triangle division based on the forces, like a type of optimization, considering the form. Is there a plugin or tutorial that could help me with this? if you could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it infinitely!

1 Like

TriRemesh is included in Rhino7 & RhinoWIP - if you install either of those versions of Rhino you don’t need to install anything extra.

2 Likes

That is the expected result of a 3D delaunay triangulation. I misunderstand your question, use the @DanielPiker solution.

1 Like

Thanks! I guess that clarifies my doubts

1 Like

Thanks @DanielPiker you’ve been so helpful! Great to know that, I will try it later in my personal laptop, don’t think my school will let me install a WIP lol

1 Like

Daniel,

TriMesh, MultiPipe and Nodes

I’ve just acquainted myself with TriRemesh in the last few days and it is of itself hugely impressive. I am interested in something like the volumetric mesh that would be tetrahedra-like, filling a volume.

You mention this but I’m unclear if this is possible or not. As a beginner in Grasshopper, I may be missing something.

However, as a first or next step toward the goal of creating at least another layer of tetrahedra multi-piping, even if manually, would be possible somehow to accurately locate Points on the Nodes that are generated by TriReMesh (and multi-pipe)?

Or has that precision ability been lost with the conversion from NURBS to mesh?

Thanks

Clive Carter

1 Like

Interesting to stumble on this today. In the past, every time I’ve ever researched this stuff for different projects, I’ve also wanted to do ‘volumetric’ style delaunay/voronoi geometry.

But all I ever see is ppl only doing it 2-dimensionally along a surface :sleeping:

I have some stuff I got from @DanielPiker , but I think there’s still improvements that can be made. :beers:

When I get back into this soon, this is close to where I will pick up:

2 Likes