How to construct a Tartan grid?

Hi guys, I am new here. I came across an exercise where I need construct a 30’ x 30’ x 30’ cube (using the solid cube tool). The cube will have a Primary tartan grid of 10’ in all directions on each face.
I then need to transform the corner of the cube. In a way to demonstrate how the buildings tartan grid “prepares” itself to turn the corner and how the tartans breaks down the scale of the whole mass of the building into smaller human scale components.

Then I need to add a Secondary and Tertiary tartan grid to the cube to establish a hierarchical tartan grid that will maintain order as the comer is turned / transformed.

I am also asked “How do you as a designer “prepare” to turn the comer?”

I need to then transform the corner of the cube by removing around a quarter (1/4th or 1/3rd) of the cubic volume of the corner (10x10x30=3000 cubic feet so max removal from the cube = 750 - 1000 cubic feet).

Lastly the tartans need to ‘inform’ how I transform the corner of the cube. Tartans could indicate subtraction alignments, edges, planes or lines. How does the cube incorporate additive / subtractive elements?

I have no idea how I should proceed. Please help. When you reply consider you are talking to a complete novice who has never used Rhino before. (btw i am on Rhino5)

is this for school?

i’m not really the type “if you’re a student doing an assignment then i’m not helping”… but i think you’re asking a lot more here than might be realized.

the rhino part of this is probably pretty easy to do…
understanding what, exactly, you’re asking for is more difficult ; )

can you draw a sketch then upload it here so we can better visualize what you’re needing to model?

1 Like

Not for school but I was doing some research into more traditional architectural concepts (self learning) but since I have no history with such things I find it really hard to do such ‘easy’ stuff if it was that at all.