How to construct a layered tensile model in Grasshopper

Hi there,

I am trying to re-engineer a physical tensile model that I have made and construct into a digital parametric grasshopper form. I don’t have much experience with grasshopper so any guidance is very much appreciated.

I have experimented with Daniel Piker’s kangerooo example files but cannot see a definition that deals with this type of model, where two layers of material are being used and stretched and anchored at random points.

Here’s a basic model:

form_finding_two_meshes.gh (33.2 KB)

The target anchor points are Grasshopper points which can be moved with Grasshopper gumballs after selecting one or both of the point components.

Are you trying to replicate the same thing with a physical model? If so, we’d need to add the strings to the model and simulation.

This definition can be extended so the anchors would be tied to a cage with strings. Please not it’s really just a basic model with everything internalised. You’ll have to reset the solver after dragging achors. You could add a slider for each line to set them to individual lenghts.

form_finding_two_meshes_cage.gh (41.7 KB)

1 Like

Highly unrealistic (not your fault obviously). The only pragmatic way to do that sort of stuff is a C# that controls what K2 does (BTW: reds are the rest cables, greens the final positions). Most importantly that way one can check ccx events if some sort of “dense” membrane collection is the goal (and/or what happens if more cables share one anchor … etc etc). In this demo the hole (or not) - per membrane - is random.

That’s true for you, but not for me :slight_smile: