How to chainlink fence?

Hm. It looks like the small preview at the top of your panel, below ‘Picture frame’ correctly shows the material with transparency, am I reading that right? Click on the ‘Transparent color’ check box…

-Pascal

I believe it’s pointing to the PNG you included earlier. I tried clicking the transparent color and even changed to various colours, but no dice!

I played around with the “transparency color” percentage, and when set to 75%, it seems to work, but only in render mode… nothing shows up in shaded/pen/etc. I just can’t get over the fact that yesterday it worked and today it doesn’t, and I didn’t make any changes in options…

Hi Peter,

If you didn’t change any settings did you maybe get a driver or system update through some auto update running on your pc (e.g. windows update)?

Good luck tracking it down - I know how frustrating it is when you can’t find an explanation.

Jeremy

No idea. Who knows. Ive been a mac user my whole life… got this top of the line asus PC laptop last summer for the 17" (mac doesnt do 17" anymore) and it’s just not growing on me… problem after problem. This chainlink fence is just not happening.

PeterB, Here is another texture that I created for a stadium presentation with bleachers around the stadium. I used the same techniques, just a different texture. Mine is the top link, the texture is included with the bleacher model. The second link is another texture similar to mine.

Regards
Vince

Is your Rhino the latest version?
My students get this problem with an old (illegal) version.

@skysurfer
You’re teaching students with software you know to be pirated?

Fact of life in any university pretty much anywhere in the world. You can choose to teach or be the police, not both. All you can do is foster the students’ interest in the software and try to convince them of the merits of actually owning an official license.

–Mitch

2 Likes

I teach Rhino at the college level and have not had this problem in many years. What stopped it cold was (1) students got malware and (2) I let them know they get HUGE educational discounts. You can buy Rhino 5 for only $128 at Novedge. That’s $872 off of retail and an 87% discount.

As I like to joke, that’s equivalent to the cost of your tuition between breakfast and lunch … on a single day of the semester! You could buy a stinkin’ textbook for more than that! Skip a few pizzas and buy the damn software.

I recommend everyone teaching put this Novedge link in their syllabus and mention it more than once. Give them a chance to buy it and many will.

ADDITIONAL NOTE: You can now download and run Rhino for 90 days free. That should last you the entire semester.

My students can buy it directly from me at the same price (actually slightly cheaper…) Doesn’t change anything. As we are an architecture school with 600+ regular-time students, they experiment with all of the different software packages from AutoCAD to ArchiCAD to VectorWorks, etc. For the scheduled class that covers Rhino we recommend the eval version. The Rhino enthusiasts almost always end up buying a license because they see the value, but the others - well, if they come to me with a problem due to cracked versions, I say, “now there’s a good reason to buy a license!”

–Mitch

1 Like

I guess my class and study program is a little different. It’s entirely focused on Rhino. The other major 3D apps are installed on school computers and are available, but are mostly used by the other programs.

I know I can issue a list of required textbooks, which students would have to buy. (I never have.) That could easily run way more than $128. Is that something you could do?

I will look into it at my school and let you know what happens. I’ll PM you so as not to hijack this thread! Oops.

Please wait!
All the schools computer have proper original lab license! (of course)

The problem is with the students computers, and I can’t do too much .
I’ll advertise, as much I can, the student license but bad habits are difficult to change.

Suggestions are welcome.

Probably, but it’s not something I want to do. I prefer the carrot to the stick. I agree a Rhino student license is ridiculously cheap for what it can do, but I’m not going to force anyone to buy it. I prefer they buy it because they love the software and it helps them do better projects.

Many students do buy Rhino just before graduating - even those that have had cracked copies in the past - because they know what a deal it is going into the professional world owning a real Rhino license at that price.

And as Riccardo said, our school does have real lab licenses - several of them (both Mac and Windows).

–Mitch

I haven’t read the whole thread in detail, but wasn’t there something about the png working better if saved as 24bit, and being square and multiples of 512 pixels in dimensions? That fixed similar problems for me using Octane.

Worst coming to worst you could build the lattice structure as an actual solid, if you are not covering too much area,
using array and curve piping, or even just as flat surfaces.

Hi Ben… Thank you. Ill give that a shot and see how it goes next time I need to do a fence. In the meantime, as you say, I just built a real lattice structure… it balooned my file to a big size, but solved the problem.