How to blend these surface

Hi All

I was hoping someone could help me out. I’m new to Rhino and CAD in general. But looking to learn.

So I am trying to connect this arm to the body in the below picture. The goal would be to connect the arm and at the point of connection have the arm blend in to the body to add thickness and support. I’ve tried to use blend commands, but am not having much luck. Appreciate any help I can get!

you could try:

put the arm inside the other thing:

BooleanUnion:
(this will combine the two solids into a single solid)

FilletEdge:

if this isn’t doing what you’re imagining, there are some other approaches as well.

Thanks for the response! This is definitely helpful. I want to try and make the connection point/curve bigger now possibly riding up farther on the body and arm in order to strengthen the connection. I’ll play around and see if I can figure it out. Thanks again!

Any chance anyone knows how to create a larger blend between the two surfaces? I’ve been trying and can’t seem to figure it out. The fillet doesn’t allow for enough support between the surfaces, unless there is a feature of fillet that I don’t know about. Which is very possible.

I imagine this is what you’re looking to do. Rather than filleting your handle first. I left it square to get a simple loft between the two objects. Then used surface match followed by solid pipe. To trim out your fillet along the handle and blend surfaces.

more like this?

or does the blend need to flow smoothly through both surfaces?
(here it’s only smooth to the arm… kink at other part)

@jeff_hammond

It doesn’t have to flow smoothly through both surfaces. If it blends smoothly to the arm and I can adjust the kink at the other part to be thicker/thinner, that would be awesome.

@Stratosfear

Thanks for the response. A lot of what you mentioned are commands very new to me, some I haven’t heard of. I’ll definitely do some research in what you mentioned and see if I can apply this to some of my designs. It will be helpful if I can figure it out.

Jeff, I appreciate all the help you’ve provided so far and just want to ask one last thing from you. Since the above picture should get me where I need to be with my design. If it isn’t too much to ask, can you provide similar screenshots as you did with the first example with the fillet? That was really helpful. Thanks again.

hey Steve…
here’s what i did there:

Project an ellipse onto the body:

Trim the body using the projected curve:

use BlendSrf between the arm and body.

after selecting the edges, i dragged the seam when prompted to the bottom centers of the edges:

after adjusting the seam, i set the arm edge to ‘curvature’ and the body edge to ‘position’:

then the result:

2 Likes