How to automatically mirror when creating in Rhino 5?

Saw this video the other day:

And was wondering how to turn on the function that allows Rhino to mirror your “sketching” of one side as you work on the other? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

1 Like

Symmetry

Hi Andrew

History could be a way to do this.
Try Mirroring an object with History recording On. If you edit the original object, the Mirrored object with history is updated.

-Willem

Thanks for the responses! I have tried both of those suggestions, and I don’t see something similar to what is seen in the video I linked. I think it must be a different program. It is a neat feature that I wish Rhino had.

That can be achieved in Rhino with T-Splines

Can you elaborate what T-Splines are? I am still very new to Rhino! Thanks!!

I’m guessing the video you posted is Maya. It’s using polygon modelling, which is different than NURBS that Rhino uses.

T-Splines is a plugin that enables this king of modelling procedure while still delivering NURBS surfaces in the end.

http://www.tsplines.com/

Asking for real-time symmetry in basic Rhino makes little sense because (in general) Rhino’s way of modeling things is a different approach to freeform modelers.

A large portion of Rhino users make an object by laying out curves, constraints, or indicate key values. At the end of this “setup” process, the object is created, revolved, lofted, extruded, etc. If it’s not correct, we step back and make changes to the layout components.

Once you’re happy with the object or surface, Rhino’s Mirror or Array commands give you the freedom to play with symmetry of various sorts.

The setup/execution process of Rhino would hardly be considered “sketching” out an idea in 3D… at least not in comparison to freeform modelers.

Yes, Rhino has introduced the Gumball, but after some finger-twister sessions with the keyboard, it still doesn’t hold a candle to dedicated freeform modelers.

As others indicated, the video shows Maya’s modeling method of pushing, pulling, scaling, rotating parts of an object directly and in real time to get the shape you want. Here, real-time symmetry for feedback is useful.

T-Splines and Clayoo are competing plug-ins that extend similar freeform modeling functionality to Rhino. Yes, they include real-time symmetry (axial and radial). T-Splines provides numerous procedures to select vertices, splines (edges), or faces and the tools to drag, scale, pivot, and extrude those regions into the shape desired.

This doesn’t mean EVERYTHING should be done in freeform modeling. The trick is to identify the right tool for the right job. I would suggest getting proficient with Rhino first before diving into anything else.

Being able to Voltron the industrial-modeling aspect of Rhino with the organic-modeling of T-Splines provides an indispensable all-in-one tool they’d have to pry from my cold dead… well, you know the rest.

Here’s an example of organic modeling done with T-Splines that would otherwise be quite painful to attempt with just basic Rhino:

http://www.tsplines.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=30286#p44419

Seek the webinar videos to get a sense of how modeling is done in T-Splines. You might find it fits (or doesn’t) with the things you want to model.

If you’re creating things that will ultimately be manufactured (3D printed, etc) staying with NURBS will sidestep a number of problems people encounter with polygon objects.