How to apply different materials/colours to the same element?

Hello,

I would like to add two different colors to an element in my CAD model in Rhino. As you can see in the image, the beam is red up to some height, then the color changes to white. I don’t want to split the element, but I don’t know how to paint it properly either. I would be grateful for sharing the information about which function I should use, or, if there is no such feature, what can be done to achieve my goal.

Hello- in this case a red and white texture projected from the side would do it -

2 colors.3dm (1.0 MB)

-Pascal

1 Like

Thank you @pascal for your answer. I did as you suggested and it worked.

However, I found that the color is applied differently on different surfaces, even if they are a part of the same element.

I tried to change the mapping to box style because I read that this should help, but it got even worse.

I would be grateful for help with this problem.
Tower color problem.3dm (1.2 MB)

I am attaching a photo of the object:

Hello - see if the mapping on these objects makes sense and lloks correct -

Tower color problem_maybe.3dm (1.2 MB)

-Pascal

Thank you again for help @pascal

Could you share the changes you made to the material? I noticed strange behaviour:

In your project: “Tower color problem_maybe” the element looks good.

I exported the material and imported it into my main project where it looks wrong again.

Out of curiosity I clicked box style mapping and it works. I tried that before and it didn’t help.

I wonder, maybe I should not use wave texture with the ladder? It works great with the elements that have just 2 colors: red-white. But the ladder is one long element from top to bottom. So it should be red-white-red-white-red-white.

Hello- right, Waves is not necessarily best - a bitmap would be best no doubt, I just did not have one handy.
Tower color problem_maybe.3dm (926.3 KB)
WhiteRed

-Pascal

Thank you @pascal for your help. I did not know how to use a texture with bitmap so I asked for help Mr. Jarski from Lemondim. He explained how to apply texture and how to modify the element mapping to solve my problem. Now I have what I wanted to achieve.

2 Likes