How does Rhino do the default lighting of a scene?

When you use the viewing options (artistic, pen, etc.) you can select Lighting scheme → Lighting method → Default lighting (or scene lighting).

What does Rhino do, exactly for default lighting? Is it just a matter of putting a point light somewhere? A the camera lens?

Hi Theo - default lighting is a single light over the viewer’s left shoulder- it follows the camera.

-Pascal

1 Like

HI Pascal, how do you turn this camera on/off Or just even view it / see where it is?

on Windows it’s

Command Camera, options Show and Hide. Visible in parallel views (Top, Side, Front).

Is there anyway to adjust the location of this?

edited to note that I’m on pc and had a colleague ask me if there was a way to adjust this location and this thread was as close to a solution as a I have gotten.

Hi Don - there is no way that I iknow of to change the location of the default light used in rendering. In rendered display mode, however, you do get to play, in case that helps, but it will be static and not camera based. If static is OK, then placing one or more lights in a template file, setting the file to use lights on layers that are off, and putting the lights on their own layer is the way to go.

-Pascal

1 Like

i am finding that on macOS, “Use lights on layers that are off” simply does not work. maybe others can verify this?

(Version 7 (7.27.23032.13002, 2023-02-01))