How does PointDeviation work now?

Shouldn’t there be an “apply” button? I can’t seem to get this to work, but maybe there is a new approach that I’m not grasping. I also noticed that you can’t pre-select the point and surface like we could in V5.

Thanks,

Dan

1 Like

Hi Dan -
Yeah - this is because now surfaces can be inputs for the points part (render mesh vertices) so that you can check surface to surface clearance.

Editing the numbers should update the display as you go - no Apply. Does that work?

-Pascal

1 Like

The surface to surface distance is what I was trying to achieve with my script (been using it since V4). Checking surface to surface is working. I never thought to try that. That’s great!

One suggestion. If I make the hairs permanent, it’s more useful if they retain their colours. I notice layers are set up, but the hairs are saved on the current layer, and inherit that layer’s colours.

Thanks,

Dan

1 Like

Changes/enhancements needed.

1. “Select objects from which to extract points to test” modified to read “Select points to test or surfaces to extract points to test”. The current version implies points can no longer be used as input, and uses the generic “objects” which usually includes lines and curves as well as surfaces. Lines and curves do not appear to be selectable as input.

2. Lines and curves should be input as well as surfaces.

3. The use should have control on the number and/or spacing of the points extracted from surfaces (and lines and curves) to be tested.

1 Like

Hi David - yeah… I know, but, the thing is, meshes, control points, point objects, surfaces, polysurfaces, extrusion - via render mesh - can all provide the points… but I guess I agree, since it is PointDeviation, ‘points’, meaning point objects, could be in the prompt.

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-41515

-Pascal

1 Like

RH-41515 is fixed in the latest WIP

1 Like

Hi Pascal,

I think there are more issues here than just the wording. Check this out:

The option to make the hairs permanent seems to be buggy.

Thanks,

Dan

1 Like

Hi Dan,

I watched your video. I could repeat this. It has to do with the second run of point deviation with make hairs permanent in the same document. There was a function to create the layers for the hairs and it always tried to add them, even if they already existed. The second time gave a bogus layer index back so the hairs landed on the default or current layer (not sure which, but either way it’s wrong). I’ve got a fix in the works. I’ll post a YouTrack issue here in a bit.

Tim

1 Like

YouTrack issue is https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-41660

1 Like

RH-41660 is fixed in the latest WIP

1 Like

Looks good here too.

1 Like

RH-41515 is fixed in the latest WIP

1 Like

Hi @pascal, using Rhino 6 SR21, the checkbox for “Display hair” does nothing if the checkbox for “Automatically apply changes” is checked.

_
c.

1 Like