How do you stitch two mesh edges together?

Hi there,

I have a project where i have two mesh terrains that have come from two different sources and i’m now trying to ‘stitch’/combine/loft/blend these two edges together so that it looks like there is a seamless transition between the two. As an example please see the image below, essentially i want to blend the two edges into each other:

Would anyone know the best way of going about this?

• The two terrains i’m actually using have hundreds of points so moving them manually is not ideal
  • I can’t use drape as i need to retain the detail of each terrain i currently have
  • I can’t dupedge and loft as the joint will be noticeable

Am i right in thinking the only way to do this would be to manually move the points even though it would take a long time?

Thanks very much for the help!

Hello - judging from the image, the terrains are not even very close to being the same at the edge - what do you want to do there? It seems to me you’ll need to make some decisions about what to keep and what to throw away in the way of details on each side. Cab you post a file with the two meshes?

-Pascal

Hi pascal,

Thanks for the supply, you’re right, they’re edges are quite far apart. The two meshes are land surveys, one survey has been supplied by the client (Lets say for instance the right hand mesh in the image) and the other was supplied by myself (the left one). Ideally, i’d want to keep the exact geometry and edge of the right mesh as that’s trusted information and move the left mesh edge/geometry to meet it…almost averaging out the left mesh based on the right if that makes sense…

I stupidly deleted the example file i took that image of but quickly made another one which i’ve attached.

Rhino Mesh Terrains.3dm (3.3 MB)

Thank you!

Hello - hmm - getting the edges to match up is not too hard - but I guess that is useless in itself. ‘Averaging’ the rest may take some creativity… I’ll see if I can come up with something.
@ThomasLEE - check the attached file - I don’t say it is seamless, exactly, and your mesh was pretty simple, and nicely arranged but if this is something like on the right track then there may be a workflow that will be at least OK.

Rhino Mesh Terrains_PG.3dm (135.9 KB)

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

This is a long overdue response but i realised i completely forgot about thanking you for your help, although i didn’t find the answer, thank you for your responses.

For those coming across this thread, in the end, I resorted to spending an hour manually moving points up and down to get the edges matching closely and then i used Drape. It reduced the detail of the terrain (even with spacing set to 1), but not too noticeably. For my project i was also splitting these terrains and altering them so having 1 clean poly surface instead of multiple meshes helped in the end.

I also tested using the Shrink Wrap tool in Materialise Magics which worked as well but chose drape because i find surfaces easier to work with than imported meshes.

You could have used FillMeshHole command followed by manual cleanup.