How do I smooth the transition between right angle parts

unhandled

Could someone please tell me how I can get a nice smooth transition between the horizontal and vertical portions of the attached part? I used Variable fillet to get it to this point but the ends of the fillets are bumpy.

Many Thanks,
Don

PIPE FLANGE NEEDS SMOOTHING.3dm (392.7 KB)

(Pascal Golay) #2

Hi Don, is this along the lines of what you need?

PIPE FLANGE NEEDS SMOOTHING_Maybe.3dm (499.9 KB)
-Pascal

That looks great Pascal. Thank you. One question… When I e-map using brushed gold or run a zebra it still looks a little bumpy around the red lines/intersections. Is this an illusion. When I e-map with polished gold or space needle it looks smooth. Is there a was to make the horizontal, vertical and fillet all one surface? Did you just adjust points to make things fit better?

Thanks,
Don

(Pascal Golay) #4

Hi Don - It needs a little more density to be able to join up - try InsertKnot on the surface in the U direction - click on Automatic twice - then MatchSrf for Curvature, ‘Match by closest points’ and ‘Preserve isocurve direction’

-Pascal

Do I boolean the surfaces to join them?

(Pascal Golay) #6

Hello - no - use the Join command, once they are matched up. See Help on Join and BooleanUnion…

-Pascal

Hi Pascal. When I mirror this part along the x axis, I get a little bit of a dip where the two halves of the transition meet. Is there any way to get rid of that?

(Pascal Golay) #8

Hi Don - MatchSrf across the edges for Tangency.

-Pascal

I can’t make it work pascal. I’m just not sure how to get rid of the low point that shows up when I mirror the filleted section. I’ve tried every surface match configuration I can think of. Sorry to be a bother. And thank you so much for your help!

(Pascal Golay) #10

Hi Don - does this look right? MatchSrf, Average Surfaces, Tangency…

PIPE FLANGE NEEDS SMOOTHING_Maybe2.3dm (262.8 KB)

-Pascal

That did the trick. I didn’t have it set to average surfaces. Thank you!.