How do I find a block instance that gives an "error message"?

Question (short version):
How do I find the object (block instance) that gives me this “error message” - The edges could not be softened because the softening radius is too large. ?

(Longer version)
We’re working on a rhino project with a huge amount of linked block instances which use edge softening.
The objects is modelled by differnt persons and we try to check the objects before adding them so that the edge softening is set properly. But somewhere along the line we’ve inserted one or two objects that now give us this “error message” while inserting new objects. Is there an easy way to find the block that give these messages or do we have to go through all individual objects to find which object we need to correct?

As you se below we would prefer if there was an easy way to find the object :wink:

Command: '_SelAll
3657 block instances, 1 curve added to selection.
Command: _Insert
5.3% of the edges were not softened because the softening radius is too large.
The edges could not be softened because the softening radius is too large.
5.3% of the edges were not softened because the softening radius is too large.
The edges could not be softened because the softening radius is too large.
Insertion point

Since edge softening is a display mesh thing, I can’t think of a way to find them other than visual inspection.

A future version of the tool might be able to somehow highlight them like ShowEdges does.

Ok, I just though that since the software is reporting this it ought to know what object it is processing while this error occurs and just add that information to the error.

Well, I guess I know how I will spend my weekend then :wink: :smiley:

1 Like

If there was some sort of option for feedback, would that be helpful?
If so, is this a huge problem for your workflow?

My guess is if you used EdgeSoftening on individual block instances, they would be much easier to inspect and then you would know which ones needed to be tweaked or ignored.

An option to set the detail level of the verbose feedback would be perfect, but not a must.

As I said, the objects that we use are made by different people and EdgeSoftening is set on each object by the creator. We then check all objects before inserting them, but in this case it seems that we’ve missed it on one or two objects.
The only option we have now is to open the individual objects again and check them, thankfully we know appr. when this message started to appear which limits the number of objects to check again :slight_smile:

Thanks, that helps.

I’ve added a feature enhancement request for the edge softening tool.
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-50588

1 Like