How do I export my rhino file with vray materials to another computer?

And how is the case owith proxies geometry moving to another computer ? I have tried to move my work to another computer, all the proxies geometry exists, but in rendering they disappear…

This feature will be introduced with vray next. :wink:

We are facing a similar problem here, which doesn’t seem to have an easy solution.

The problem to resolve is within a network, where we have Rhino 6 and Vray NEXT installed:

1. On a Machine A, we are designing some objects. We have some vray lights and materials assigned and general settings set up. We save the file not locally, but on a server.

2. On a Machine B, we open the same file produced by machine A from the server, to do the simplest thing on earth, just pressing the render command and see exactly the same results as in Machine A. It looks like this is not possible. Lights do not even appear in the vray asset editor, although they do appear in the scene.

We then try the Pack Scene, but this doesn’t seem to make any difference. We just see some textures when unzipping the packed file in the folder.

We then try to export a VRScene from Machine A, importing it back to Machine B, but what we get is a duplication of the objects from the original file, also badly meshed on the screen, showed as a block. The program asks even for a proxy position insertion point. Therefore we have, effectively, two identical objects and the result look similar.

Are we making any mistakes? Is this how it should work?

My understanding is that is basically impossible to export in one go a Rhino file containing all the materials, lights and vray settings. The fragmented and unefficient way of working I mentioned doesn’t seem to get nowhere near the results we get on Machine A.

Thanks in advance.

Luca

If this doesn’t work then you need to fix that issue first. Is the scene made on comp A made in the same version of V-Ray next that is used on comp B?
Are these lights created using the Vray toolbar?
Are the lights imported from an older Vray version maybe?

This is exactly how it is designed to work. Basically you can add a complete render ready scene file into another file or render it directly using the batch render tool. The mesh is just a preview mesh to keep viewport speed high. In general the insertion point is just 0

Thanks for your reply. Here is a screenshot of the Asset Editor of the same scene, as it appears on Machine A and Machine B. There is a possibility that lights were imported from Vray older versions, however, I still don’t understand why the two don’t match. Are we saying that a rhino file with vray lights, materials and settings can only be rendered/edited by the same machine which created it, otherwise, if opened on another machine, you have to recreate the entire scene from scratch?? it is quite unrealistic as a possibility…

Hi luca_biseli,

That is an absurd thought. We frequently pass files accross machines, and the code itself has no idea whether the file was produced here or there at all. It also should not matter if it was V5 or V6, or the V-ray version differs.
With one notable exception. You can’t open a file in earlier V-Ray release than the one it was produced with. This is quite obvious I think.
Asset files location (textures, .ies, .vrmesh, etc…) also does not matter. It is just a path string, nothing more.

First: Make sure you have enabled + loaded + set V-Ray as current renderer on the target machine BEFORE opening the file. If the V-Ray plugin is not loaded, Rhino will not call our deserialization code

Second: Take a look at the Rhino command line for error messages, or any message box that appear on the screen. If any - that is a strong clue.

Third: if the problem still persists, please contact Chaos support. The guys there will probably find out the issue pretty quickly

Hi Nikolay,
Thanks for your reply. I am surprised myself of how absurd this is and ideed, also time consuming, trying to find what’s wrong, instead of focusing on the production of our design work. But the reality is that when we open the same file from different machines from the one which originally created the file, we don’t get any any of the vray settings. If you look at the previous screenshots I posted showing what we get between different machines, you realize that even lights don’t appear to be the same on the Asset Editor…Vray, of course, is set up as the default renderer.

@luca_biselli

just a couple more ideas I would try:
de-install and then re-install latest V-Ray on both machines (4.10.02)
Start a new scene on both computers and add the same assets in both, then try to open up scene created on A on B and vice versa to see if it makes a difference.

Things are getting pretty ugly then.
I recommend you call the support, they’ll try to fix the problem in-situ.

In the meantime could you try a very simple test:

1. Start with an empty scene on machine A and make with one light
  2. Save and open the same file on machine B

Check if the light has disappeared

That will tell if there is something wrong with the file or with the setup.

I now attach the old file for your review. We have deleted all the geometries, materials, blocks, views, layers. We have kept just the lights and assigned a standard brick material to a cube.

file deleted

definitely something wrong with machine B then, it renders and opens correctly here.
Edit: the scene does take very long to open though, so something is weird with the scene as well

I now attach the new file for your review. As requested, there is only one light.

new render scene.3dm (1.2 MB)

• Asset editor on Machine A shows one light.

• Asset editor on Machine B doesn’t show any light.

Thanks. Would you mind to show what you see please?

I see the same as what you see on your computer A

But the new scene also takes about a minute to open

edit: also importing one of the scenes you posted takes long but eventually works correctly

Results of test with deled file on another Machine, called C, within the same network.

• Render on Machine C, shows nothing. However, asset editor shows lights, but not material. When opening the file, “error reading archive” appears.

Error

Result of test with new render scene.3dm on Machine C.

• Asset editor shows light correctly.

It looks like the old file has a problem on different machines. I have now run out of ideas and tests to share!

Thanks very much for trying to help out.

question is, do you get the same issues the other way around? For example scene created on B/C to A?
anyways there is something weird with you scenes, because they take way to long to open.
Maybe it has to do with the embedded images that refer to a url that I have no access to. If you run Audit3dmfile on one of the files you can see for yourself what I mean. I can’t think of anything else that would cause the slowness, but I also don’t know how to remove embedded textures to test this.

@pascal do you know what can cause the slowness of the file opening? Also Audit3dmfile takes very long. How to clear the embedded image table?

I have cleared the embedded images from the old render scene.

• Machine B asset editor shows the material, but not the lights. However, render gives the same result.