How do I create a round hole in subD?

or use this little script:
circularize.py (1.8 KB)
(works on control point selection only, but not limited to subds)

3 Likes

Sadly I could not watch the video. My system doesn’t support its format

As you seniors were teaching me some methods I also went my way and created the circular holes on an object by my innovative technique. But it doesn’t mean I don’t need the techniques you offered. I should learn them to progress in Rhino, thought I have learned Rhino by myself up to this grade.
Can you send the video with another format like the videos that other seniors sent me?

This is the vacuum cleaner I made in subD and created its pipe plug and wheel place with my own technique

1 Like

Hi there

Thank’s for your idea and knowledge

Big data and Big picture :thinking:

This is how I do it.

1. I design some foundations in subd with many different meshes to be as low poly as it is possible. This helps me get the best shape. On higher polygon subd meshes it`s easy to get lost and to have unwanted pinches and ugly reflections.
  2. Every different shape features and sub-objects as pads, buttons are separate meshes to not disturb polygon flow without reason. I try to be as low as possible because it`s easy to tweak shape on low poly cage.
  3. I create a higher poly subd over low poly foundation (retopo) adding some details to the overall shape (I blend manually also some smaller features during retopo I also add holes to change topo to describe those shapes).
  4. the whole retopo is made over background mesh to be sure my main foundation is reached all the time.
  5. during retopo I tweak the higher polygon cage many times to be close to the foundation and additional feature shapes. Some shapes start as few different subd items and after retopo it will land into one blended object.

Edit: I know that polygon flow in retopo image is ugly but I wanted to show the idea behind it in few minutes (spare time between work).

Edit2: my hole loop is an extended cylinder projected into the foundation surface (in the background)

2 Likes

Thank you very much, J.P Bae

Your compliment made me hopeful to continue the way more confident. I hope I benefit your experiences in Rhino, as well

Thank you again :slight_smile:

Hello Gijs

I typed circle in the command line but didn’t appear a command called “circularize”? I even typed circularize but Rhino answered, unknown command.

Is “circularize” a command relative to an additional plugin?

I shared a Python script. And made an alias circularize that runs that script.

Use RunPythonscript in the alias for making this work and point it to the location where you have saved it.

2 Likes

Sadly I have not worked with cage yet, and that was one of my future questions (or search forums to find working with cage). Your method seems precise but at present, I can’t understand it unless I learn how to work with “cage”.

If your method is creating pieces of mesh on a picture and then shaping that to a 3D object (with bending or other technique), I can realize it, though it seems more troublesome than the usual methods that I use.

Nevertheless, each technique is usable to progress a project, among your good approach. I keep in mind to go back to your post and use the method in the next; after I learned how to use and work with cage.

I will be happy to benefit from your experiences, whether on this topic or other topics.

Thank you a bunch

1 Like

:slight_smile: I’m not familiar with programming and didn’t work with Python scrips, although I learned some of primitive commands earlier. It is a failure that has limited me to work with grasshopper skillfully.

I have to say that I do that retopo in Modo but it`s not a difference in which software you are shaping your cage. It may be done in Rhino, Blender, Modo with no difference. I like to do it in Modo because when I drag LMB from the existing polygon edge with SHIFT pressed then I create a new polygon that is “glued” into the background mesh. It allows doing me tat quite fast. I will record it someday.

1 Like

Oh excuse me I didn’t notice before. I supposed you are addressing me to write a scrip myself. I will save the scrip among other scrips of Rhino and will use it

Thank you :slight_smile:

retopo in Rhino 7

2 Likes

The video doesn’t show anything, probably my system doesn’t support its format. May I ask you to send it in another format? (like the videos you sent before).

Thank you

It’s on youtube, the standard video format, available to everyone!

Youtube is filtered in our area. I know it is the greatest source of technical videos but due to some improper videos in youtube and similar reasons and for protecting the youths of our land the government has filtered it.

This large forum does not accept videos or image files.
I can’t help you in any way.

you use what you need for when you need it. Converting to nurbs allows you to leverate the Subd into production data you can develop further. the “messy” wires are actually not messy… they are just indications of the internal isoparametric structure of the surface itself. The surfaces themselves are valid surfaces that are able to be used just like any other nurbs surface for further development.

subd to nurbs is a one way street in the most practical terms.

you can get back if you do something like quad remesh, but it’s not ideal. The best thing is to keep a copy of your subd safe on another layer and then use it if you need to iterate or make a change.

I would 100% build the base form, convert to nurbs and trim using a circle.

Keep trim curves and a copy of the base subd on a layer in case there is a change or iteration needed later. You will get there way faster, cleaner using the right tool for the job. You can make circles in subd but it’s a topology PITA.

2 Likes

It doesn’t matter, dear inju :slight_smile:

you can still help me in this thread or other thread

My purpose of using "messy " was not unreasonable wires, I did mean the wires in subD are less, more regular and beautiful and is lovely for me.

I will use your nice advise to save every subD object in a layer before I convert it to nurbs. And I understood from your expression “one way street” that taking back a converted subD to nurbs (after doing some operation on the object in nurbs) is not possible, and it was one of my questions that you answered to.

Therefore, I should complete a subD object as much as possible and then convert it to nurbs, because it will be a non-refundable conversion.

Thank you very much