How can I turn this into a solid? It seems I have all of the pieces needed

Help.3dm (4.6 MB)

So I tried:

1. Sweep1 the outer portion and Patch the inner portion. I was able to achieve two solids of the right geometry, but they wouldn’t Union together. I tried rebuilding the surfaces and kept on getting Union fails.

2. Rail revolve the whole thing… also doesn’t work. (on the right side)

Btw, for whoever keeps answering these questions… thank you! !A very helpful forum
Thanks!

not sure if Rhino for Mac has the command but the windows version does - “TestRemoveAllNakedMicroLoops”

I used it on your open polysrf and it worked like a charm

Oh ok thanks! Do you mind uploading it because I only have the Mac version and I don’t see this command.

Hi @Aiden_Kashi,

I didn’t understand why you use whole profile, let alone two complete profiles.

After leaving only half a profile and revolve it 360 degrees it was a closed polysurface without the need of a join, and with no naked edges.
Help.3dm (4.0 MB)

2018-05-30%2000_46_21-Object%20Description

TestRemoveAllNakedMicroLoops is on the Mac but only available from the command line. Given the name, I suspect the same is true of the Windoze version.

In V6 it is now RemoveAllNakedMicroEdges https://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/6/help/en-us/commands/trim.htm#RemoveAllNakedMicroEdges

@bigjimslade, @davidcockey,

in my experience “forcefully” removing naked edges randomly makes the polysurface invalid. That’s why I prefer not having naked edges at all. Although it works rather fine visually, sometimes this leads to errors if you use that “forced” solid in other operations like hydrostatics and rendering.

I would never advise anyone to use commands closing or removing naked edges. Sometimes it’s necessary but always make sure you check your solids if they are valid.