How best to twist this thin solid upright by time it gets to the purple object?

Hi,
I did try control points on the line from which the solid was made, but then extruding that with its twist saw no solid made.

maybe I should twist the solid instead but thats beyond me :frowning:

I need to get the ‘web’ twisting gently so that its unaffected at ‘A’ but upright/perp to the purple object (see thin line) by the time it reaches ‘B’. (see the perp line at ‘B’ that is the centre of the ‘web’ )

likewise C to D, D must be flush with face of Object at ‘D’.

Anyone care to twist it for me and show how its done ?
twist solid upright by time reaches purple item.3dm (114.1 KB)

Steve

I do not have a clear enough picture of the desired result to be of any use.

-Pascal

Hi, hope this helps.

note I have revised the second arm since initial upload, so download again !
Steve

Something like this, maybe?
twist solid upright by time reaches purple item_maybe.3dm (315.4 KB)

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

thats the sort of thing.
C D needs to be planar to faceof object 'at the object, to fit flush with face. as per brown mockup.

A-B not so vital. as long as its perp to object at object centreline.

I have had to revise the two webs in the light of a better photo of the object.

attached the new webs.

How did you do it though ?
revised twist solid upright by time reaches purple item v2.3dm (214.6 KB)

Steve

Hi Steve - I think just build a new set of surfaces using BlendSrf …

twist solid upright by time reaches purple item_maybe2.3dm (195.6 KB)

-Pascal

Hi Steve,

If the twist extends as far as D, the rib is still twisting as it passes across the beginning of the purple object so won’t lie flat against the end of it without adding further distortion. That’s probably hard to model - is it ok to move D back till it is aligned with the side of the purple piece?

|Hi,
yes please move d back.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Here’s a solution using the rhino twist command. revised twist solid upright by time reaches purple item twisted.3dm (444.2 KB)

Considering the C-D rib:

1. Create a construction line matching the intersection of the pink and blue ribs at C (use curve from intersection command). This should be on the outside face of the blue rib. I have left my construction lines in place for reference.
  2. Create a line matching the straight edge of the purple item near D and scale it up.
  3. In the Right view, place a point to mark the apparent interception of the line from 2 with the outer edge of the blue rib. This indicates where the twist axis will go.
  4. In the Front view, draw an orthogonal line to mark the twist axis from the point in step 3 along to the line made in step 1.
  5. Select the blue rib and use the twist transform. For the start of the axis select the intersection of the axis line and the line from step 1. For the end of the axis select the intersection of the axis line and the line from step 2. For the angle or first reference point choose the bottom end of the line from step 1. For the second reference point choose the bottom end of the line from step 2.
  6. Mark the intersection of the blue and pink ribs at A. (You want the intersection of the equivalent faces to those used in step 1)
  7. Use linear array or move to transfer the three construction lines from the C-D rib to the A-B rib, using the bottom of each intersection as the reference points.
  8. Twist the second blue rib in the same way as the first.
  9. Delete or hide the construction lines.

Hope that’s of interest
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,
I cant open the file .

I am V5.

Regards

Steve

@Steve1

Here you go; opened in V6 and saved in V5. Cheers,
revised twist solid upright by time reaches purple item twisted_V5.3dm (426.7 KB)

Thanks Fred, saved me a job!

@jeremy5 Happy to help. You provided an excellent solution. Hope @Steve1 solves his problem.
Best Holiday wishes,
~Fred

Hi, Thanks Jeremy and Fred_C.
followed it through and it worked, all understood.
MANY THANKS INDEED. SAVED THE DAY.
In step 5 I found that by selecting the step 1 line at its base for the First angle or first ref point the actual selection icon was under the selection point from step 3, as it insists on being related to the ‘end of the axis’

Steve