Hops not working. Unable to start a local compute server

@thomas.lagarde Yes, we’re about to issue a new release of Hops which will make the COFF issue a non-issue. So, all new installs after 0.12.0 should work regardless of whether or not that checkbox is on or off.

1 Like

All of the above is done and it is working - there are still some errors, but I feel as though that’s the nodes within the computed script not working as they should (my bad data management) rather than hops not working. I still have the issue that I have to fire up the compute server from the %appdata% folder rather than it automatically firing up when I create a new hops node (or open an old one that I am using in a script and then have saved, closed and reopened), but hopefully that is fixed in coming feature releases.

Yup, good work all, it’s working fine now, I’ll check if that box is checked or not now

1 Like

Hi @AndyPayne,

I have been trying my hands on HOPS and i think it is really good. I tested HOPS on a couple of definitions and it was working perfectly fine. Yesterday, it started showing this error and i dont know what has happened.

I have followed all the above steps to figure out why hops is not working on my computer.

Please advice on what could be the possible problem or how should i go about resolving it.

Thanks.

1. I get this error message when i ass the path to the HOPS component.

2. I have unchecked the COFF Setting as per your suggestion on the post above.

3. When i run the compute.geometry.exe manually from Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\Hops\0.15.0\compute.geometry , The service loads correctly and stops on its own.

4. This is what i get when i dont have http://localhost:8081 in Hops-Compute server URL

5. System settings as as below:

Rhino 7 SR19 2022-6-14 (Rhino 7, 7.19.22165.13001, Git hash:master @ 303aecd3f1907d87fe49f88f695c02fb790b1e31)
License type: Commercial, build 2022-06-14
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10 (10.0.19043 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)

Computer platform: LAPTOP - Plugged in [100% battery remaining]

Hybrid graphics configuration.
Primary display: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 12-23-2020 (M-D-Y).
> Integrated graphics device with 3 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA Quadro P2000 (NVidia) Memory: 4GB, Driver date: 5-23-2022 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 516.25
> Integrated accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Secondary monitor is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 5-23-2022
Driver Version: 31.0.15.1625
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\Users\anuj.mittal\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\7.0\Plug-ins\Fologram for Rhino (468a328b-20d9-494b-b9e1-cbe9f827d3a2)\2020.2.2.0\6\Fologram.IO.Rhino3d.Win.rhp “Fologram for Rhino” 2020.2.2.0
C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\V-Ray for Rhinoceros 6\VRayForRhino.rhp “V-Ray for Rhino”
C:\ProgramData\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\LadybugTools\1.36.136\Ladybug.RH.Loader.rhp “Ladybug.RH.Loader” 1.36.136.0
C:\ProgramData\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\Pollination\1.3.7\Pollination.RH.Loader.rhp “Pollination.RH.Loader” 1.3.7.0

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.19.22165.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.19.22165.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.19.22165.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\IronPython\RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 7.19.22165.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.19.22165.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Grasshopper\GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” 7.19.22165.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.19.22165.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Hi Anuj Mittal. You said that Hops was working fine yesterday, but only started showing this error today? Can you think of anything that you changed about your setup yesterday afternoon? Perhaps installing a 3rd party plugin? To me, it appears that the issue is coming from the V-ray plugin. I don’t have that particular plugin installed to test on my machine, but could something about this plugin be preventing the rhino.compute server from starting? Have you checked the permissions on the V-ray plugin?

Hi Andy

Thanks for getting back to me.
Vray plugin wasnt creating any trouble.

Today HOPS is working again.
I think the issue was that I was accessing some files through VPN. I am not sure if this was a problem, but that’s the only thing that has changed between yesterday and today.

I will try and recreate the problem again over the weekend and confirm if it indeed was the VPN.
Thanks again Andy for getting back to me.
I really appreciate it.

Another thing I have been wondering is whether HOPS can handle TextGoo ?

Thanks

I’m glad it’s working again. Can you be more specific about TextGoo? Are you asking whether it can accept strings that can be deserialized into geometry?

I am working on a project for which i need bakeable text. I was testing the definition written by David Rutten and Giulio Piacentino for bakeable text as an output as described in the link below.

https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/creating-text-objects-and-outputting-them-as-normal-rhino-geometry/47834/7

This definition creates TextGoo.

This is the definition which is supposed to give me the bakeable text as the output

What i get out of it is just Text, not bakeable text.

So i was wondering if HOPS was able to handle it or not or what would be the best way around it?

Below are the scripts if you can take a look at it.
Thanks

BakeableTextGhPy.gh (14.4 KB)
BakeableTextGhPy_HOPS read.gh (5.0 KB)

Could you use something like the Text On Surface component to output surfaces of the text you want? Something like this?

BakeableText.gh (7.7 KB)

Hey Andy,

Thanks for suggestion.
I already tried that. Its just that the file becomes heavier when I have a lot of text data.
Also, the output is not editable once I get it as an output from HOPS.

I will try and extract the properties before I input the text in HOPS and recreate the TextGoo from the properties I get from HOPS.

The other thing I noticed regarding text output is that the text that I get as an output from HOPS has /r/n added to it instead of a new line as originally input.

Any suggestions to take care of that?

BakeableTextGhPy_HOPS read.gh (6.1 KB)
BakeableTextGhPy.gh (13.9 KB)

I mean i can obviously work around it like this

but i was asking if this was an error or this is how the serialization works in HOPS?

Thanks

I think that the “/r/n” issue you’re seeing is because the input string you’re using isn’t “multiline”. If you right-click on the panel and select “Multiline Data” (essentially turning it into a list instead of a single item text)… does that help? You may have to change the “Get String” At Most value to something other than 1 (either leave it blank or set a high number).

Hi Andy,
You are absolutely right. It isnt multiline and I don’t want the input string in multiline, I want the data to be read in 2/3/4 lines depending on how long the data is.

I have to bake this data in Rhino so the formatting matters to me.

Could you just do something like this? Only pass in a single word (Plane) or (Test) and the create the list of text you need on each branch?

BakeableTextGhPy.gh (12.5 KB)

Hey Andy,

Yes, this works for now.
I will explore this further.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Cheers

1 Like

Thank you. That solve for me either

1 Like

Hi Andy, could you confirm the current release of Hops (0.16.2) didn’t solve this yet?

COFF setting (checkbox is unchecked), seems to have no effect in my case, and the only way to make Hops work is to launch manually the Compute server as you described here.

Thanks

Hi @AndyPayne ,

First let me thank you for all these supports and interesting webinars with various platforms.

Unfortunately, I am facing this problem as well:

“1. Path appears valid, but to something that is not Hops related”

I followed most of the post above and unchecked COFF + unhiding Compute console but didn’t work for me. And I just downloaded the most updated version of Rhino 8 couple of hours ago:

Version 8 SR1
(8.1.23325.13001, 2023-11-21)
Evaluation
SN: 6-1800-0108-221704-10694-21935
Mehrzad

Can you please, help me to fix this problem or if you have already explained about it somewhere else?

Thanks.

Hi @mehrzad_samadi What version of hops are you using? Did you install a new version for Rhino 8? The Rhino 8 version is different from Rhino 7 so you need to have the latest version (0.16.4) installed.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply,

Yes, it is.