Holomark2_R6

Which Registry key are you looking at? And what data type are you storing it into?

There are two keys that NVidia uses:

HardwareInformation.MemorySize - 32bit value
HardwareInformation.qwMemorySize - 64bit value

…but you have to be looking in the right place.

-Jeff

1 Like

Querying Win32_VideoController may be another option to search for GPU data: I use it here to find out cards to skip. But there is quite a bit of info to be had. These properties are available. In your case AdapterRAM

1 Like

Hm, I think that’s where I probe and get 4GB…

def video_information():
        select = "SELECT * FROM Win32_VideoController"
        arrInfo = System.Management.ManagementObjectSearcher(select)
        lines = []
        for strInfo in arrInfo.Get():
            lines.append("\n ")
            for prop in strInfo.Properties:
                if prop.Name=="Name":
                    try: lines.append("{1}".format(prop.Name,prop.Value))
                    except: lines.append("ERROR Name")
                if prop.Name=="AdapterRAM":
                    try: lines.append(" - {1} MB".format(prop.Name,round((prop.Value)/1048576,0)))
                    except: lines.append(" - ERROR AdapterRAM")
                if prop.Name=="DriverVersion":
                    lines.append("\n ")
                    try: lines.append("   {0}: {1}".format(prop.Name,prop.Value))
                    except: lines.append("ERROR DriverVersion")
        return "".join(lines)

And this seems to state the same:

Oh, you know me… I never know what I am doing when it comes to this stuff, I just copy-paste and tweak until I get the result I look for and then I move on to the next thing I need… none the wiser… :crazy_face: And this was done years ago too.

I’ll see if I can find HardwareInformation but does that only work for nVidia or for all vendors?

Here is what I currently do (a tad simplified, removed definition etc)

import rhinoscriptsyntax as rs
import System
import Rhino
import clr
clr.AddReference("System.Management")

select = "SELECT * FROM Win32_VideoController"
arrInfo = System.Management.ManagementObjectSearcher(select)
lines = []
for strInfo in arrInfo.Get():
    lines.append("\n ")
        if prop.Name=="Name":
            try: lines.append("{1}".format(prop.Name,prop.Value))
            except: lines.append("ERROR Name")
        if prop.Name=="AdapterRAM":
            try: lines.append(" - {1} MB".format(prop.Name,round((prop.Value)/1048576,0)))
            except: lines.append(" - ERROR AdapterRAM")
        if prop.Name=="DriverVersion":
            lines.append("\n ")
            try: lines.append("   {0}: {1}".format(prop.Name,prop.Value))
            except: lines.append("ERROR DriverVersion")

print "".join(lines)

And on my laptop this is the result:

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Max-Q Design - 4095.0 MB
DriverVersion: 26.21.14.4166
Intel® UHD Graphics 630 - 1024.0 MB
DriverVersion: 26.20.100.7261

(The 2070 has 8GB)

Hello all,

I just ran Holomark on my 1-year-old laptop for the first time and I was a little disappointed with the results. I know I don’t have a super GPU, but the CPU score in particular seems low. Any ideas why?

Also, the test just tanked during GPU21. I was monitoring my system processes the whole time and when it hit this test I didn’t see the needle move on anything: CPU 7%, Memory 34%, GPU 0%. Is that normal?

Thanks!

Holomark 2 R6 v2,61

Total Score: 61304
Total Runtime: 787.9 sec

GPU scores: 55360
GPU_01 - 204.10 fps - Cube 4 tests
GPU_02 - 28.10 fps - UDT Shape
GPU_03 - 263.20 fps - Wireframe
GPU_04 - 208.30 fps - Shaded
GPU_05 - 50.00 fps - Rendered
GPU_06 - 44.10 fps - Block Rendered
GPU_07 - 163 units Nurbs @ 5 fps in Wireframe
GPU_08 - 113 units Nurbs @ 5 fps in Shaded
GPU_09 - 22 units Nurbs @ 5 fps in RenderSpeed
GPU_10 - 80.00 fps - RenderMesh Render
GPU_11 - 172.40 fps - RenderMesh RenderSpeed
GPU_12 - 188.70 fps - JoinedMesh Render
GPU_13 - 333.30 fps - JoinedMesh RenderSpeed
GPU_14 - 28 units mesh @ 15 fps in Shaded
GPU_15 - 95 units mesh @ 15 fps in Render
GPU_16 - 261 units mesh @ 15 fps in RenderSpeed
GPU_17 - 106.40 fps - mesh in Rendered Studio
GPU_18 - 12.90 fps - Nurbs in Rendered Studio
GPU_19 - 21.40 fps - Block Illustration
GPU_20 - 75.10 fps - 2D single
GPU_21 - 0.30 fps - 2D massive (20x)

CPU scores: 5944
CPU_01 - 15.00 sec - Booleans and Contours
CPU_02 - 3.91 sec - Twist and Taper (UDT)
CPU_03 - 7.78 sec - Meshing Mini
CPU_04 - 0.19 sec - Extract Render Mesh
CPU_05 - 0.08 sec - Join Render Mesh
CPU_06 - 44.49 sec - Reduce Mesh
CPU_07 - 3.12 sec - Calculating Technical display
CPU_08 - 9.54 sec - Making Silhouettes

Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
P65 Creator 8RE

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 with Max-Q Design - 4095.0 MB
DriverVersion: 27.21.14.5638
Intel® UHD Graphics 630 - 1024.0 MB
DriverVersion: 27.20.100.8336

Intel® Core™ i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz
NumberOfCores: 6 NumberOfLogicalProcessors: 12
MaxClockSpeed: 2.2 GHz

TotalPhysicalMemory: 16.0 GB

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

• None - 64-bit

Rhino 7 sr 0 64 bit
AA level = 4

• I did - it took around ten days to get mine, though that varied wildly between stores and between brands/models (I had preorders at two stores, the second was estimating no stock of that card until November!). Also worth noting that I’m in NZ, so supply lines will inevitably have their own quirks compared with other countries.
  • Well spotted! It should be reading 10Gb, but @Holo seems to be onto that. Under Video Hardware in the Rhino Options dialogue it shows up as expected

_

One thing I did find surprising compared to the earlier test, was a few of the test sections that the new card ran worse on:

GPU_02 - UDT Shape (92.6 > 78.7 fps)
GPU_09 - Nurbs @ 5 fps in RenderSpeed (122 > 99 units)
GPU_18 - Nurbs in Rendered Studio (52.4 > 43.3 fps)
GPU_20 - 2D single (269.5 > 79.3 fps)
GPU_21 - 2D massive (111 > 12.3 fps)

Does anyone with a greater technical understanding of what’s going on behind the scenes have an explanation for those - something about how the new architecture processes things? Patchy driver support for a new launch? Me being a muppet and missing something important?
The overall experience feels so, so much better across the board, but tests 20 & 21 jumped out in particular for the margin of difference

Not bad, this is my new build for Yacht Design. Thank for the test.

The next run, after computer restart, CPU was much faster. Very satisfied.
RTX 2070, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

Well, my three years old (that time quite pricy) zendesk laptop isn’t that fast. ASUS UX530UQ, NVIDIA GeForce 940MX, i7-7500U

I’m sorry but i downloaded the file but it doesn’t run as installer, windows asks what program should open the file, it seems .rhi extension doesn’t work like an exe. Is any trick to open ? Thanks

If you’ve installed Rhino, then .rhi should be recognized. If it’s not, then your Rhino installation is bad and you should probably try reinstalling…

With that said, you can always drag-n-drop the .rhi file onto Rhino while it’s running (i.e. drag the .rhi file over the top of one of the viewports and drop it.

-J

Hi Jeff, Rhino 6 is installed in my pc for 2 years and i work with it successfully, it would be strange if the installation was bad.
I have already did drag&drop and it doesnt’ work.

I heard that someone else had this problem, i tried the fix but no results.

Hi - did you unblock the rhi file when you downloaded it to your PC?
Also, from that wiki page that you linked to, there’s a link to “Troubleshooting RHI Installers”. Did you try downloading and running the RhiFix.exe utility that is linked to there?
-wim

Hi Wim,
i downloaded the rhi file on top of discussion, then i didn’t any operation like unblock.
Of course i tried rhifix, but nothing happens

Just write .rhi to the end of Holomark2_R6_2 file and drive it.

1. close Rhino (if open)
  2. open Holomark2_R6_2.rhi
  3. open Rhino
  4. Command Holomark2…

I realized I never ran holomark since I got the 2070Super. The card is already sold and will be pulled out of the system later today - waiting for a 3080. Since this might take some more time, I’ll have to use my old RX580 for some time.

I noticed that my CPU score is varying quite a lot. I had posted runs here with RX580, Vega64 and more, though I don’t think a different GPU should have an effect on the CPU score? Maybe a stronger GPU asks more from the CPU as well? This current run shows the lowest CPU score I ever got. 14943 now against 19669 which was the best I posted here. In earlier runs I had different CPU settings in the UEFI, like undervolting and the many UEFI updates did change the boost behaviour of the CPU but the difference is still very big. So I’m not sure how meaningful this score is.

OKAY, so I think I now know where the difference in CPU score came from. The “Ryzen balanced” power profile was enabled in the previous run. I enabled the max performance mode now and got a higher score, very similar to what I had scored some time ago. I think it was mentioned befor that the power plan is of course important here. I forgot that, sorry.

@Holo when you made holomark, GPUs were probably much less powerful and they reached the 15fps limit rather quickly. I feel like it takes just too long to reach that limit with current GPUs. If a newer version will be made, I hope the fps limit will be set with more modern GPUs in mind :wink:

You are right on the money! Holomark2 was made for Rhino 5 and just ported to Rhino 6 so Rhino 6 could be directly compared to Rhino 5… And then I started a full rewrite for Holomark3, but then life continued to drag me away on other, more important (and earning) projects. Darn life! Right now I am rebuilding our kitchen so I think I have to focus on that first if I want to have someone in charge of that said kitchen too when I am done :wink: But yes, Holomark2 is horrible for testing Rhino on modern hardware, it’s kind of like a render engine from the 90’ies, you newer know when it’s done…

1 Like

I would be fine with paying a few bucks for rhino plugins that I use. All through the new package manager maybe? Don’t know, but there should be a simple way (app store like) for plugin developers to monetize their work.

EDIT:
I just checked your page, I didn’t even find a donate link :frowning: