High CPU use

This might be a general Rhino question, but I’m doing it here because I’m using VisualARQ. I had just upgraded my RAM space from 16GB to 32GB because Rhino was starting to have stoke whenever I wanted to run or update a PlanView or even when I tried moving my model because of 1. my parametric design on my model and 2. I can only assume all of the rhino/VisualARQ geometry. The upgrade did seem to help with the overall smoothness when moving around my file and moving things. However, it still has a stroke when updating the plans, moving the plans, and when moving or manipulating the model, giving me the blue ring of death and the message “not responding.” When I check my system when doing some of those things, I see that my RAM stays pretty steady, but my CPU use shoots to 100% a couple of times. So I’m just wondering if there is something that I need to do or something I need to upgrade to fix the problem.

1 Like

Your RAM has nothing to do with the display issues you mentioned above. That would be handled by your graphics card. Check your drivers to make sure they are updated, and perhaps look into upgrading the card itself if you can.

Perhaps run SystemInfo in Rhino and copy paste the results here.

Oh, ok. I’m still learning about all of this stuff, so thank you.

Here is what comes up when I run the SystemInfo command:

Rhino 7 SR28 2023-2-27 (Rhino 7, 7.28.23058.03001, Git hash:master @ 4ffc5d7156fbccf2a5d9fcc80e522b3851bc7f6c)
License type: Educational Lab License, build 2023-02-27
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10 (10.0.19045 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 (NVidia) Memory: 6GB, Driver date: 12-22-2022 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 528.02
> Accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #0

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 12-22-2022
Driver Version: 31.0.15.2802
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 6 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Tibidabo\Lands.rhp “Lands Design”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Tibidabo\VisualARQ.rhp “VisualARQ”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Tibidabo\Tibidabo.rhp “Tibidabo”

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.28.23058.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoLabsTools.rhp “Rhino Labs Tools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.28.23058.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.28.23058.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\IronPython\RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 7.28.23058.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.28.23058.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Grasshopper\GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” 7.28.23058.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\export_PDF.rhp “PDF Export” 7.28.23058.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.28.23058.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Hi @Clayton_Hull VisualARQ 2D plan and section views may take time to be generated (and updated) if you work with a large model with complex geometry. You may experience also a slow response using Rhino’s Make2D command with the same file. However, if you can share that file we will take a look and see if there’s something we can do to improve this performance. Specially for that issue of a bad response when moving or manipulating objects.

On the other hand, we always encourage people to use real-time section or plan views instead of laying all 2D geometry in the model space with the vaSectioView and the vaPlanView commands. That way you won’t need to update anything to show the real-time version of your model in the 2D drawings. Please take a look at this video in case you are not aware of the real-time vector output feature of VisualARQ with the Hidden display mode: https://youtu.be/1qdNB5v_fwE

If this helps, we provided some tips on our web to work with large models with Rhino and VisualARQ: Tips to streamline the workflow with large files in Rhino - VisualARQ