Hide Tangent Edges

I think in this case it is probably best to differentiate between edges which join different faces of a polysurface and edges that close a single surface (we’ll call that a seam). This way you can pick and choose exactly what you want to show.

I’ve created a feature request for this at
http://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-34584

2 Likes

I’d call my first look at the new hide tangent edges display option super-fantastic. I had been duplicating tangent edge curves, using ChangeSpace to put them in the layout, then changing the color to the local surface shading color to hide the polysurface edge underneath. Happy to leave that kludge behind.

Nice work guys.

Eric

1 Like

The next WIP will have the ability to hide tangent seams as an additional option. I don’t have this hooked up for extrusions yet, but hopefully that will be relatively easy to do.

4 Likes

Steve do you mean a new option to hide tangent seams by object as opposed to globally?

No, everything is still global for a given display mode. There will be two check boxes in the display mode; one for tangent edges and one for tangent seams

Hi,

Cannot see how is it possible to hide tangent edges for Artistic mode?
So far I can only control all edges.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Dmitriy

Hi Dmitriy - That is correct. So called “Technical” display modes don’t have the same controls as “regular” display modes. At some point in the future, all display modes will use the same display pipeline and the plan is that settings from both will be available.
-wim

1 Like

trying to hide some tangent edges while retaining the boundary edges (using an Arctic mode but happy to use anything). It doesn’t seem to work as the boundary edges are made up of tangent edges. Is there a way of keeping silhouette edges on when turning tangent edges off? In any display mode incl. Technical?

@Andrew can you send the geometry that shows this issue? Thanks

Ability to hide tangent edges is great.! But if we can assign different colours and lineweights to tangent edges, it will be a huge plus for getting even better visuals. Personally I don’t render as much as before. Custom screen modes are really great to get unique and impressive visuals, so this will be really cool

1 Like

Hi @Gijs

Sorry for the late response, I didn’t get a notification of your message.
The shape is made up of tangent edges top and bottom, so unfortunately you don’t see the silhouette of the shape. We have a similar issue with cylinders. It would be great if display modes gave us an option of a silhouette regardless of edge settings. That would be cool.

Hi @Gijs, any developments on this?

Hi Andrew -

I’m not clear on what the expected result is. Could you sketch a mock-up of what this would look like? It sounds a bit like Technical with edges turned off, but since that is available, I suppose that’s not what you need…
-wim

@Andrew sorry I missed this message of yours. To me it looks like you can already do this the way @Wim has described in any of the modes that support silhouettes, or example Monochrome with Edges turned off:

Thanks Gijs!
I didn’t notice Monochrome with its additional settings.
I was using a modified Arctic mode which doesn’t have silhouette settings…
Any reason why silhouette settings are not available in Arctic? I can’t find the"display pipeline" setting in v8. Does Monochrome use the Technical display pipeline?

Hi Andrew -

That’s because the Arctic display mode is not a technical mode.

That’s still in the UI for “OpenGL” modes:

… but not something that can be changed to anything else.

Yes.
-wim

Hi Wim,
Thanks for clarifying.
Monochrome gets me most of the way there.
However, when I have surfaces with no thickness, they disappear when I turn off edges.

Is there a way to be able to turn off tangent edges independently, like we can with other display modes?

Hi Andrew -

That looks like a bug, yes → RH-76222 Display: Technical modes: simple plane has no silhouette

I’m afraid not, no. Hopefully when the two display engines are merged, there will be settings to control this.
-wim