Help Modelling Ruins / Decaying Buildings

Hi guys.

Bit of a strange one here really, and yes, I know rhino is not the ideal program to be using for modelling something like this. But its the program I know best and this is a one off, so I’m rolling with it.

I’m trying to model a decaying building. Crumbling concrete, rubble everywhere, collapsing areas of the building etc. To be honest, this is a new one to me and I’m really not sure of a decent work flow to go about this.

Does anyone have an idea of how I might go about modelling something like this? I have already modelled the building as new. So does anyone have an idea of a good rout to go about destroying it essentially?

I was thinking possibly a grasshopper script to punch decaying/ collapsing holes through areas or something maybe? But I’m honestly not too sure so I’m just looking for any tips or ideals on how you guys think might be a good way to go about this?

Like this?

Lots examples of old buildings here: https://youtube.com/@grasshopper3drhinoenglish80?si=QT8ck19BNFQ8grCl

There are many ways people have done this.

1 Like

cheers for the reply.

My goal is something a bit more like this though:

Its for a conceptual architecture project. From what i could find, a program like blender is the best shout for something like this but i dont have the time to learn how to use blender well enough for this. So i was hoping somebody might have some interesting ideas on how to go about this.

So far i have just been creating rock like geometry and using boolean operations to create a decay / collapsing feel to the geometries. But they aren’t feeling very natural when i look at them if im honest.

For inspiration on approach check this Blender video - I’m sure you can do similar approach in Rhino to smaller scale (just one building)

Other than that much of what you see can probably be handled via textures - at least for the walls that are still standing. Dirty textures. Find images of walls and parts of buildings that are close to co-planar with the view.

Check https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_ikG-u_6r0&list=PL4Dq5VyfewIxxjzS34k2NES_PuDUIjRcY&index=12 , should give you pointers on how to approach this.

For debris that is going to be close-up you’ll want to put in a bit more effort, but I’d start with the broad strokes and then determine where you need to put in the time to bring in that extra.

1 Like

Ahhh thats perfect! thankyou, I have seen that first video before but couldn’t for the life of me remember what its called.

Thanks again man, big help!