Help in lighting for Cycles Render: glass material bightness [Solved]

Great!
Thank you for the update.
Will set this thread as solved.

Rhino renderede and raytraced (and render/cycles) really needs an exposure control so we can add directional lights and sun and not having to fiddle with the environment settings and the lights settings to avoid burned out images.
Please… for the sake of being easy to use and up to date.

That and the filmic conversion.

Yes, but exposure first please :slight_smile: As that is important for novice users as well.
Here is a link to a simple opengl code:
https://learnopengl.com/#!Advanced-Lighting/HDR

1 Like

Cycles already has concept of exposure. “Just” need to … expose… it in the UI.

4 Likes

RH-41286 is fixed in the latest WIP

Tried out the new WIP.
Iittala_Glass_0.7.3dm (390.9 KB)

Shading looks a bit flat now, though the lighting improved for the darkness.
I took out all other lighting from the file.

Below are rendering 60samples each

This one is skylight 1.0 and gamma 2.2

Below is skylight 0.7 and gamma 1.5

Would it help if you used an ever so slight gradient instead of solid white?

Having a solid white background will make it hard to see pronounciation on the glass surfaces.

/Nathan

P.S. nice Finnish glass - were you aware I live and work in Finland? (:

I’ll try it out. Thanks for the advice. I’ll play around a little more.

Wow Finland what a coincidence!

I used to work in Nokia in Japan though. :slight_smile:
I miss rice kebabs over there.

1 Like

looks much better with the gradient backdrop.

Not sure how to set things up to improve, but
around where the liquid is and just below it looks a little
illustratorish, compared to the original render I posted up.
Maybe the setting I requested have lead to that result… sorry for that…

If you want a more pronounced reflection you could select a different custom reflection environment. You could try for instance the gem studio environment.

Placing the glass in an environment would be even better. There isn’t proper ray control for objects available in Rhino, otherwise you could add objects to the scene that’d be invisible to camera rays, but would show up through transparent objects and/or in glossy reflections.

Until such day you could try using a well-chosen wallpaper as background in which you’d place your glass.

I’ll play around with other environments a little more.
Thank you Nathan for your quick replies.

Here an example with a wallpaper and your great glasses:

So the main problem is that for transparent (and to some extent reflective) objects to look good in very white scenes you need something to show through. If you really want as much white as possible then maybe some white room and a white table top - but one where there are clear lines that could show through the glass.

Hopefully this gives you some ideas to try.

/Nathan
P.S. you’re lucky with me being incidently on the phone or at my machine :wink: During Finnish night I somehow am not that active ^.^

I tried the gem setting, as well as other setting for the environment.
Looks quite credible now.
Thank you again for the great and fast support!

One thing/wish as I was trying the environemnt is if possible for the rotation of the HDRI files(degress) is realtime on the actual scene. As only slight degrees can change alot in the scene. But, I can always change and apply so not so urgent case.

You can already have realtime updates. You need to use the environments tab for that. The environment changes here are not modal.

environment_tab_rotation

1 Like

Great!
I’ll add it to the tab when rendering.
Sampled up to 360. looks good enough for my use :slight_smile: thanks again!

I’m glad I could help (:

1 Like

@nathanletwory

I wanted to ask if RhinoCycles will support the the new Principled shader I learned about here:

Glad I used the search before opening a new topic.
So after reading through this I come to the conclusion, that it is already available (which is absolutely awesome) but in order to use it I will have to install the GhShaderNodes component, right?
Will it be available by default any time soon?

Doesn’t this “UBER-Shader” make every other shader/material obsolete?

GhShaderNodes is currently the only way indeed, but it is quite likely that at some point it’ll be directly available, but not yet for v6.

1 Like

then I guess I’ll upgrade to V6 just to be able to continue using the latest WIPs :grin:

(because I guess using post V6 WIPs will not be possible with a V5 license)