Help for simple fillet edge... been trying for hours!

Hi everyone. I’ve been trying to fillet the edges of this… to construct the most simple toothbrush model ever. I’m on a deadline and can’t get it to work for me. Could someone please help??

(I’ve googled and tried to edit the curves and sweep and etc but it’s just not working… $%# lol. If you could just press a button on your computer and it works, that would be FANTASTIC. !!)

I just want to smoothen the edges with a radius of 1.5 - 2.
Is all! 3 hours later and still no result… :-\

toothbrush-try-fillet.3dm (224.5 KB)

Or if anyone can help me get this model out or recommend another software which I could get it done in half an hour please let me know.

Thank you

You don’t have tangency in these areas. That should be fixed befor you try to fillet.
And 2mm is too much for the “head” as the two fillets will intesect.

Good luck!

hi holo

thanks a lot for your response! i don’t want to fillet those edges, just to round off the outline of the toothbrush so it doesn’t scrape the gums. i’ve tried 0.5 - 1mm and it also doesn’t work. Is there a faster / another way to do this? i will even pay someone to do it…! Lol.

thank you…

Ok, some of your curves were bad, on four places you had two points on the same location, all at the end, so you have probably double-click on the snap point, or wrongly clicked twice to end the command.
None the less, there were multiple points, and that will always cause trouble.
The trick to bugtrack such stuff is then to turn on controlpoints and check each one.

And for the future, as a beginner it is always much faster to start over than to bugtrack :smile:

Here is the file with the fixed curves (just the curves). I tested it and it works fine with both 1 and 1.5mm fillet.
toothbrush-new-curves.3dm (29.2 KB)

Good luck.

Shoot, I didn’t see that part about you willing to pay… Ah, too late now I guess :wink:
Nah, just pass the help along, this is how we all were helped, so that’s cool!

Oh gawd. That was it? LOL. I had imported the curves from Illustrator.
Lesson learned. Thank you so much. ! x-D xxxox

You also had two really short curves, one at each side, and one at the end. And some of the curves did not have tangency.

Illustrator is great at many things, but it is not great for accuracy regarding tangency and curvature.

So use “Match” to adjust existing curves and “BlendCrv” to make smooth blends between curves in Rhino.

wow thx for the tip holo! :slight_smile:

(Kyle Houchens) #9

Beware of imported curves.

As a General rule I never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever use imported curves without rebuilding them. Illustrator curves are notorious for their badness.

Gold. Didn’t know that. Thanks.
-=André

(Gustavo Fontana) #11

Rhino should have a warning for imported curves saying something like:

“the imported curves are pure garbage to build geometry from them, use at your own risk”
(don’t show this again) (ok)

I recommend importing EITHER (a) the curves or (b) an image of the profile [via picture frame]

Place (a) or (b) on its own layer and lock it. Now trace it. You should be done in a few minutes.

Also: remember that the correct number of control points is always the fewest needed to capture the profile.

thanks. so i am drawing new shapes now… and… f*k it should be so simple but it’s not. can’t fillet edges again. will keep trying. holo was a lifesaver!! haha. and… thanks all :slight_smile:

If you’ve got a LOT of imported curves (especially from Illustrator, it’s painfully true)—and redrawing is impractical or undesirable (due to accuracy required of the imported lines)—I’ve had reasonable luck doing the following:

1. Select the curves.
  2. Turn points on
  3. Select each one and Rebuild, using the lowest number of points possible.
  4. Join back up and if the curves are supposed to be closed, watch the command line to be sure the curve closes. (“What”, also works to check if closed or open). If it remains open, then try this:

A) SelChain (with Position On) is really helpful to determine continuity. One thing to watch is that it may select all curves appearing if it’s closed, but it may still read as open. (And as a wish, it would be really cool if this command would automatically identify the end points in the next step if a curve is open!)
B) CrvStart and CrvEnd will locate where the break is (and often this is micro-tiny and impossible to see or zoom into unless you do the next step!).
C) Select this point and ZoomSelected.
D) PointsOn.
E) Manually drag a control point on one of the lines to the other, being sure to use End snap.

Oh… and one other thing. If you have the Near Snap On – TURN IT OFF, 'cause this will cause a world of pain when trying to fix imported curves.

~Dave

Thanks Dave & everyone :smile:
I just try to keep things really simple now, and think of different ways to draw stuff out as succintly as possible! :slight_smile: MINIMALIST hehe

Cheers

-------------------- TOPIC RESOLVED --------------------