Help filleting a trimmed surface to a trimmed surface

Wave cladding.gh (37.2 KB)

Hi everyone,

I’m wondering if there’s any way Grasshopper or Rhino can help me fillet the edge of these two surfaces, ideally at a tangent from the point they’re coming from on the wall. I’ve been searching the forums and trying all sorts but I’ve had no luck.

Thanks for any advice!

Hi, you can use the _filletedge command in Rhino. Its a one click solution. But chances are high that it fails, since your outline is pretty wavy, a state you usually like to prevent. Grasshopper in Rh 6 offers a similar functionality, but will also likely fail. So I don’t think its a good idea to create a shape like this in first place, but if you like to continue, you really should model in the blend transitions and not going for fillets.

missing

Can you use the ‘Surface | Util | Flip’ component in Rhino 6 instead? Your GH file looks badly broken to me, perhaps because of that missing component?

Thanks Tom, unfortunately the fillet edge command is a fragmented mess with my model.

Is there another approach to such a shape you’d recommend? I’m self teaching Rhino for an architecture course at the moment and welcome your workflow advice!

Hi Joseph, I have lunchbox installed so the surface directions work. I did try swapping it and redoing everything downstream to work, but I’m having the same issues connecting the two faces.

Can you post a copy of the file that doesn’t require LunchBox? As I said, the ‘Surface | Util | Flip’ component in Rhino 6 should do the same job without LunchBox.

The problem here is not a missing functionality in first place but the geometry itself. A surface has two principal directions which also determine how a surface can be matched at least tangent. Now if you make a sine shape you have very strong direction changes locally. It is really difficult to fill in a fillet with tangent continuity, in any CAD.

What you can do is to make it a solid, then a mesh and then use a plugin like Weaverbird to get at least s subdivision mesh out of it.

Or the other way around, you create a smooth shape, looking a bit more defined as a simple cube and then you apply a sine distortion on that…