Help creating aluminum, sandblast, anodized material

Hi,
I want to render an aluminum material. There are plenty of aluminum materials in the rhino library, but most of them don’t seem to be common or useful. The aluminum I’m trying to get is sand-blasted or bead-blasted and then anodized (black). There is no such thing in the rhino material library, although it seems to be a pretty standard thing (macbook e.g.). Also an option to add displacement instead of just bump map would be nice, but I can’t find this option in rhino. I tried a lot but it just never looks like it’s supposed to. Can anyone help me to create this material?
I’m using cycles/raytraced.

Are you looking for something along the lines of https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/42877/how-to-build-a-shader-for-anodized-aluminium ?

Yes. And also yes, I had googled this already. But how does this translate to rhino-cycles?
I guess I won’t be able to get anywhere near this without this:

?
haven’t tried it jet. can’t I do this with the standard materials?

For best results I think easiest is I write a custom render material. After next BETA I should be able to publish a simple one-material plug-in. GhShaderNodes indeed is your other option if you don’t want to wait (:

Great, thanks, looking forward to (after) next Wednesday.

And yes, think I just can’t avoid shader nodes any longer. I’ll try it tomorrow.

Note that not all nodes are wrapped, and icons you should ignore (you’ll see what I mean)

so I tried shader nodes.
this is the material I wanted to redo in GH:

from the screenshot it looked the most simple and didn’t require any external maps for bump or displacement.

but I didn’t get very far:

material-01.gh (11.2 KB)

I really have no idea what I was doing. I think there are components missing?
I also downloaded blender in order to open the material there but I had no clue how to navigate the program. sometimes stuff changes completely and I have no clue how to get back so I always have to close and reopen that blender thing. yes nothing to debate about here.

so is there a way I can redo this material or one of the others from that thread in gh with shader nodes at this time?

I know shader nodes is something you’ll handle in the distant future but I thought I might post it anyway.

Regarding your plans for further cycles integration and especially materials:
so there is this new super-shader from disney, which can basically do everything. I hope grasshopper will make the right move and use this thing (and nothing else). Also I hope Materials will be compatible with blender, probably not natively but hopefully via some kind of import function. all renderers have their own materials, we don’t need another one, especially because the render engine is basically the same.

It is the principled BSDF, it is already in use amd available in GhShaderNodes.

You are right not all Cycles nodes are available yet. Currently those that I have needed are wrapped. If there is a specific node you need let me know.

As a teaser check this out:

The floor is a custom material, just the principled BSDF (and some extra nodes to handle textures, esp the normal map). Specular map, roughness map, normal map, diffuse map.

(Still buggy, so I won’t be publishing this until fixed, but function now as an early-early prototype for V7)

Well, I don’t know what I need, because the names seem to be different. Since nothing there makes sense to me, not in blender or GH, I can’t tell you what I need. I don’t se any chance for me advancing here at this time. I hope someone else who has already tried this out can help to port one of the aluminum materials from the linked thread to GH-shader-nodes.

That looks great, keep it up!

Just tell me the node names in Blender Cycles, I can tell you the GH names, or if it isn’t in yet.

“mix shader” with 1xFAC and 2xShader inputs
and also “RIM” input, don’t know what that is.
and there are other inputs and outputs and that I have no clue of.
Never mind, right now it seems far too complicated for me.

Mix shader is the blend node. For the material you linked to on SO you need to add: 1 noise texture, 2 principled bsdfs, 1 blend node, and one output node. The principled bsdfs you should set for both metallic to 1.0. Set for one roughness to 0.4 and one to 0.2. Connect them to the blend node in the closure inputs. The noise texture you connect to the fac input of the blend node. The blend node you connect to the surface input of the output node.

I would set the basecolor of the principled bsdfs to something light grey, not full white. Specular should be set on both to 0.5, although it might be fun to connect the same noise texture also to the specular inputs on both the principled ones.

I stopped trying, I wasn’t able to produce anything remotely usable back then.
I continued to use the standard rhino materials. The standard bump texture (grit or speckle) that I use to achieve a sandblasted or beadblasted metal texture is pretty limiting. If you want a fine grainy structure on a not so small surface, you will see the pattern repeating. That’s why I would like to revisit this topic now.

This post helped me to set it up and get simple results:

But I’m still far from getting anything like I want to achieve. Blender tutorials don’t help, at all. I hope someone could help.

Just getting the “noise” work so that I have an alternative for the rhino “grit” or “speckle” bump maps. For a start that would be great.

One specific question:
the principled component says “couldn’t read vector”. which vector? the normal vector from the surface I want to apply the material to? if it’s not flat I would need multiple vectors, right? how many?

Anyone already using this at all?
Would really appreciate if someone would share his experience.

this work for you? PBR created in alchemy anodized bump.rmtl (427.9 KB)

looks like this with my settings-

I would not bother with the displacement map unless you have really dense geometry. Use that only when you need a close-up with very much detail on the surface and you can spare the memory. Anything not in close-up should have displacement map disabled.

Displacment on meshplane consisting of 1 quad, (2 tris):

Now the same meshplane subdivided 8 or so times (until there were a little over 500k tris):

and Raytraced for better shadowing (and the plane in Right view so you see the original geometry is just flat):

1 Like

Thanks,

anodized alu is different. The important thing about the material and why I need a good bump map is the bead blasting. This is used for both alu and stainless steel. When you anodize alu afterwards, it will look much more matte (or “dull” not sure if that is the right translation to what I mean) look compared to stainless steel.

It would alreadu help if the included bump would be good, that’s what I need to simulate the surface structure you get from the blasting. This is what I struggle most with.

Sadly the material you attached comes without the maps, it’s just blank for me.

Anmerkung 2020-05-15 122303

The screenshot you post, assuming it is one you took on your own machine, shows that the textures are in there