Helix Head

I have been trying to do this with the helix command and Boolean…etc, to no avail.
Can anyone help? (The face on my screen is loaded as an insert (an OBJ female head I purchased on Turbosquid), How do I get the face to project on the helix?
Thanks guys.

1. Make rectangle around your original female head.
  2. Make helical rectangle having the same width and length.
  3. Use FlowAlongSrf command to morph the female head on the helical rectangle.

OrientOnSrf command may also work.

Hi Marcel - you may be able to make a cutter for MeshSplit or MeshBooleanSplit as in the attached file.

HelixSurface&Mesh.3dm (107.8 KB)

-Pascal

Hi Andrew
Thank you for your prompt answer.
1 on your first point, do you mean make a extrude rectangle around the head?
2. I cannot understand what a helical rectangular is, The Helix command only makes round Helix. Unless you mean, to make a curve Helix and extrude along helix Curve ? Can you send me an image of a rectangular Helix please?
3. the FlowAlongSrf command , I understand.
4. I will try OrientOn Srf when I have understood the above.
Thanks Andrew
Marcel Mittelman

You are correct - my description was vague. It is flat surface that has rectangular shape. Plane command will make it quickly. The entire female head outline must be inside the rectangular surface. The elevation of the surface should be the same as the bottom of the original female head.

It is rectangular surface twisted like a helix. First make its border, then fill the border with the helical surface. The border is made of two helices joined with straight lines. I suggest that you draw the two lines first and then connect their ends with the helices. Use Helix command or Spiral command to draw the helices. Use EdgeSrf command to make the helical surface from the four curves.

As soon as you have made the two surfaces, one flat, the other helical, use them as input of the FlowAlongSrf command.

The OrientOnSrf command is alternative to the FlowAlongSrf. I do not know if it will work well, so use the FlowAlongSrf command first.

Hi Andrew
I managed to do what you recommended and I thank you for it, BUT the face that flows along the helix is totally stretched out and unrecognisable.
I want to send you the file but how do I attach it to this email?
Marcel

Hi Andrew
I managed to do what you recommended and I thank you for it, BUT the face that flows along the helix is totally stretched out and unrecognisable.
See attached

Flow along face to Helix.3dm (13.7 MB)

I have fixed your errors. I made mesh on the left side, but is morphed version does not look good - more refined mesh would look better. Do not place all objects on the same layer! Flow along face to Helix2.3dm (13.6 MB)

I was interested with this object and i thought what kind of method would be the best way to achieve a good result. Eventually helix on cylinder and adapt the face on cylinder is what i did. Flow along face to Helix_Kocc.3dm (19.3 MB) It’s not perfect but maybe a good idea…

1 Like

That is very very good, thank you. I made this one (attached) but your is much better. Thank you.Helix Head 001.3dm (5.1 MB)