Having trouble with edge fillet

unless you did cs or maths

I really don’t mean to beat this issue to death - but I did both of those and over time I came to appreciate the difference between logic and, for lack of a better word, syntax.

Before I started designing things for 3D printing I looked at all the design programs out there, and when I discovered GH I knew that was the right choice for me. I did fiddle with Rhino - but good grief! All those toolbars, icons, and menus? I knew I wouldn’t be able to remember all that. But GH let me think about geometry, and that seems far more natural to me.

So when it said Curve, that’s what came to my mind. I do understand a fair amount about lists and trees, but certainly not everything. And my guess is that there are a lot of GH users like me who just want to focus on the shapes, and not the details of how they come to be or inter-operate.

1 Like

Sure, which just means you’re in the group of people who when they see curve parameter or edge index think “oh, that’s not what I expected” instead of “curve what now?”

You might be surprised. I’m not a Rhino expert yet, but the interface very much reminds me of Autocad, which over time back in the day I knew so many commands and system variables off the top of my head, and I see similar with Rhino, the command names just stick with me. Plus many of the commands in GH have the same or similar names as the Rhino counterparts. With use they’ll wire your brain to easily remember them.

Actually jay, I wouldn’t be surprised. What I would be is mad. The reason is probably unique to me, but because of my history with 3D graphics and programming languages I just get mad when I have to deal with stuff that is not directly related to what I’m trying to do.

The best example I can give of this is the difference between programming in Fortran and any of the “modern” languages like C or Python . If you look at a Fortran program all you see is programming statements. But those other languages have all sorts of horrible syntax things like { and ] and ; and ++ and who knows what else. Plus you have to be very careful where you put those things. I was just never able to get past that difference.

I did some work with some of the early versions of Autocad, but I didn’t like it even way back then. When I started with 3D printing I really did look at all the geometry related products out there. If I had any artistic abilities (which I do not) I might have chosen MeshMixer or something like that, but those types are useless for me. I stumbled on Rhino & GH by accident actually, but it was immediately clear to me that Rhino was just an enabler for GH, and that the genius behind GH was it’s ability to let me focus on just the geometry, and not all that other “syntactical” stuff. And the fact that GH is totally parametric is just icing on the cake.