Hardware requirements for Rhino Compute based service on Cloud service

Hi, I’m making a service using Rhino Compute based code,
which receives input data via api and compute gh file using input data, returns output geometry data.

My service runs on AWS instance (system info is attached below).
However, it is quite slow, so I’m considering scaling up instance spec.

My question is:

1. Is Graphic card needed for Rhino Compute service(It works only as an api server, no need rendering)??
  2. Do I need to apply some kind of option command to disable rendering?(which is unnecessary since Rhino compute server do not need any visible output) If it is, is there any rhino command I can use??
    I was just wondering If there is some performance optimization skills/tips for rhino compute based service.
  3. What is critical reason of bad performance from my current spec / and what is recommneded spec?

===================================================
Intel Xeon Platinum 8175M CPU @ 2.5GHz

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 (Server) or greater (Physical RAM: 3.9Gb)

Machine name: EC2AMAZ-1K110CA

Non-hybrid graphics.

Secondary graphics devices.

Microsoft Basic Display Adapter (Unknown) Memory: 0MB, Driver date: 6-21-2006 (M-D-Y).

OpenGL Settings

Safe mode: Off

Use accelerated hardware modes: On

Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x

Mip Map Filtering: Linear

Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: Microsoft Corporation

Render version: 0.0

Shading Language: Not supported

Driver Date: (null)

Driver Version: (null)

Maximum Texture size: 1024 x 1024

Z-Buffer depth: 32 bits

Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384

Total Video Memory: n/a

Rhino plugins

C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.0.19233.6455

C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”

C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.0.19233.6455

C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.0.19233.6455

C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”

C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”

C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.0.19233.6455

C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.0.19233.6455

C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”

C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Currently Compute doesn’t do anything that would use the GPU (@stevebaer – do you think this will change in the future, for “remote rendering” and the like, or do you need full-fat Rhino for this?)

Nope, the code you’re running is exactly what we’re running for https://compute.rhino3d.com. Any future optimisations will be included in the Compute code.

Based on the CPU, I’d guess you’re using an M5 instance, but I’m not sure since SystemInfo is only reporting 4GB. Anyway, the VM itself is only one part of the equation. The logs include the time taken to process and respond to each request and you can use this to determine whether the issue is with the performance of Rhino or if it’s the network that’s taking the time. In our experience it’s the data transfer that takes the most time, so we’ve been looking into ways to reduce the amount of data that needs to be sent back and forth.

It depends on what you want to use compute for. We should eventually be able to support functionality like view capture to image which would need some sort of GPU to work properly. If that isn’t something you need, then you don’t need a fancy GPU

1 Like