Hardware new machine

I am looking for a laptop, something small because I do have a large monitor to plug into. So I just need something portable, but fast. Rhino6 plus a rendering engine, might end up being flamingo.

Anyone have any experience with GoBOXX machines?

Thanks

I mean looking at the specs they are amazing for a laptop. The base clock speed seems really low for what they are so the parts are better than the package they come in. But I can’t think of any laptops doing any better than these at a better price. Can’t speak to the build quality. Hopefully its rugged. Hope that helps.

For V6, make sure you select a system with at least 4GB of VRAM for each standard resolution display, and at least 8 GB for each high resolution display.
Generally, finding that much VRAM in a portable will be difficult to find.

The most powerful 15" laptop is Lenovo ThinkPad P53. It has Nvidia Quadro RTX 5000 graphics card. This graphics card has 16GB of VRAM. The ThinkPad P53 has HDMI 2.0 port. Maximum resolution of external monitor connected to this port is 5K@60Hz.

I have 6-year old ThinkPad W530 laptop with Quadro K2000M graphics card, which has only 2GB of VRAM, but it works fine with Rhino 6 and 4K (UHD) resolution. (Some 4K videos are jittery at 24Hz.) I guess that ThinkPad P53 will work fine with 8K resolution at lower frequency than 60Hz.

ThinkPad W530 user manual says: “Your computer can support a maximum video resolution of up to 2048x1536 (with an external monitorattached to the VGA connector) or up to 2560x1600 (with an external monitor attached to the Mini DisplayPort connector).”

ThinkPad P53 specifications: http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad%20P53/ThinkPad_P53_Platform_Specifications.pdf

The new HDMI 2.1 standard supports 8K resolution at up to 60 frames per second.

Hi ANdrew ,

what do you think abou tthis machine.

https://www.boxx.com/systems/mobile-workstations/goboxx-slm/goboxx-slm-15

Thanks

Anthony

I would not buy anything else than top-rated laptop from Lenovo, Dell, or HP. These companies make shoddy laptops as well, but their top-rated models are reliable and have powerful colling system made of two connected fans. Thinkpads have additional advantage of protective roll cage. When ThinkPad laptop drops on the floor, its roll cage absorbs impact energy.

This laptop model (GoBOXX SLM 15) is ultra-thin, which means that it cannot survive drop on the floor and is difficult to repair. If I were you, I would call tech support of this company and ask them about the heat rating of their cooling system. Heat rating means how many watts of heat can the cooling system dissipate. Some modern GPUs are so powerful that they make as much heat as the CPUs. If the cooling system is mediocre, the laptop will run at its maximum speed for a few seconds, and then it will throttle to half the maximum speed because it overheats.

If you buy laptop that is not mass-produced, do not be surprized if spare parts are not available three years later.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice Andrew.

I’ve never heard of GoBOXX , I just saw it on one of the threads here.
So for Rhino6 plus Thea render these machines will do the job? Its going to be a company machine , I see Thinkpads , dells and HP screen in the office.

Andrew , this looks like its one step up.

what do you think?

https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-p/ThinkPad-P1/p/22WS2WPP101

Never mind , I found the p53 on the lenovo site.
Thanks
A

Hi Andrew , what do you think about this machine

Item:

Item:
ThinkPad P53 Mobile Workstation
Part No: 20QNS00P00
\ 312x10 Qty:
1 Price:
$2,429.00
● Processor Intel® Core™ i7-9850H with vPro™ (2.60GHz, up to 4.60GHz with Turbo Boost, 6 Cores, 12MB Cache)

â—Ź Operating System Windows 10 Pro 64
● Display Type 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS, anti-glare, 500 nits, Dolby Vision™ HDR 400
â—Ź Memory 16GB DDR4 2666MHz
â—Ź Hard Drive 512GB Solid State Drive PCIe-NVME OPAL2.0 M.2
â—Ź Warranty 1 Year Depot or Carry-in
â—Ź Graphics NVIDIA Quadro T2000 4GB
â—Ź Camera IR & 720p HD camera with ThinkShutter
â—Ź Fingerprint Reader Fingerprint Reader
â—Ź Keyboard Backlit Keyboard with Number Pad - US English
â—Ź Wireless Intel AX200 Wi-Fi 6 802.11AX (2 x 2) & Bluetooth 5.0
â—Ź Integrated Mobile Broadband None

@anthony1
It doesn’t matter what @andrew.nowicki thinks.

He has provided excellent advice and insight so YOU can make an informed decision.

The responsibility to choose a computer system that fits your needs is yours and yours alone. YOU are taking the risk.

As the old saying goes, “You pays your money and you takes your choice”.

1 Like

In my opinion, the NVIDIA Quadro T2000 4GB graphics card is too weak. Here is a list of modern graphics cards for laptops: Mobile Graphics Cards - Benchmark List - NotebookCheck.net Tech
This list is divided into several chapters. The top chapter is: High-End Graphics Cards. Pick a graphics card from this chapter.
Here is a list of modern CPUs for laptops: Mobile Processors - Benchmark List - NotebookCheck.net Tech

I agree - John’s advice is better than mine.

Hi I’m looking to buy a laptop to run Rhino but am a bit of a novice when it comes to selecting with the right spec, so am getting very list with all of the technical jargon. Please could anybody advise if the following spec I have been quoted will be sufficient to run Rhino for the purpose of product design? Thanks in advance.

• 17.3” 60hz screen
  • Intel i7 6 core processor (2.6Ghz, 4.5Ghz turbo)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6 Direct X 12.1 (the video card part is the most confusing in my search)
  • 500GB SSD

Is this sufficient: basic, mud range or high quality performance?

Boxx machines are amazing. I have used them exclusively for years and they are battle proven war hammers.

they are expensive, but their support is better than any other company IMO.

I highly recommend buying a used aftermarket GPU. You can find dirt cheap 980 ti or spend a little more and get a 1080 ti. Do not buy a GPU with a reference (blower) cooler.