Gumball to view

Hi all- a couple of people have asked, on our tech support line, about setting the current object’s Gumball to align to the current view, which can be quite handy - so, just in case it is of interest, here’s a macro that does that-

_NoEcho
_CPlane _VIew
_GumballAlignment _World
_GumballAlignment _CPlane
_CPlane _Previous

-Pascal

Pascal,

This is very helpful, thank you. It works very nicely for a single, pre-selected object. That object will retain the Gumball alignment until it is reset from the Gumball menu, even if de-selected and then re-selected.

I hoped to be able to apply it to multiple objects, but then it only sets the alignment for the group, and if un-selected the individual objects revert to their prior settings. I have to select them one at a time and set the Gumball on each with the macro.

I spent a while trying to figure a way to rewrite the macro and sub in CPlane _Object, so I could use a reference object instead of the view, but having to pre-select the object I wanted to apply the Gumball to prevents me from picking the reference object while inside the macro.

yep, that is a limitation of the current gumball I’m afraid.

I’ll have to think about that one …

_CPlane _Object _Pause
_SelPrev
_GumballAlignment _World 
_GumballAlignment _CPlane 
_CPlane _Previous

?

-Pascal

Pascal,

Thanks, that does seem to work. I found it was more reliable when I added _SelNone as the first line. Otherwise, sometimes the SelPrev grabbed an earlier selection instead of the currently selected object(s).

Mark