Gumball is missing arrows

I just checked to see if there were any more recent Nvidia drivers, there weren’t. Mine are up to date

Did you also change the threaded optimization and power settings in the Nvidia Control panel detailed here?:
http://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/nvidiainfo

I don’t remember if specifically changed any thing in that drop down in the Nvidia control panel, but i do remember making sure it was set to use high performance. I switched the setting as suggested by the related link you sent me, i’ll see if that does the trick! Thanks for the help, i’ll report back either way.

still having issues, not just with the gumball but with all lines disappearing. not only in rendered view but also shaded. any help would be much appreciated!

Hi Brian- what are the camera/target locations in that view? (Properties will show this if there is no selection).

-Pascal

Pascal, sorry i’m not sure i understand what you’re asking. In the current image all 3 are selected, however only 2 are showing up in yellow and the gumball is half missing.

Hi Brian - if you deselect everything, then with that viewport active, look in Properties, it will show you the camera and target locations- I’d like to know if the numbers there are reasonable, or unexpectedly huge, or…

-Pascal

gotcha, here you go

Hi Brian - thanks - nothing leaps out at me there… do things show correctly in the ortho views?

-Pascal

If it were me, I would try a couple of tests:

Try checking the OpenGL option for Note using OpenGL for drawing feedback.

If that has no effect, as a temporary test, remove the first check for using accelerated hardware modes and restart Rhino. Go back into the same file and see if Gumball displays correctly or not.
Be sure to turn AH back on after the test.

Please let us know

it does appear to just happen in the perspective viewport

the drawing feedback didn’t affect the issue, however turning off accelerated hardware did seem to fix the issue for now. i’ll continue to use it in this state to see if that resolves the issue. what is the downside to turning off accelerated hardware? if i had to guess slower performance? is that the case?

as always thanks for the help

Yes. And it shouldn’t be necessary. Could you post information on your GPU and driver?

also a co-worker of mine is having the same issue with the same exact laptop setup.

The fact that it works OK with AH disabled and the problem appears when AH is enabled, it an indication the problem is with the Nvidia OpenGL drivers.

Can you confirm on both computers that in your Nvidia Control panel - Global Settings, you are set for:
"Workstation App - Dynamic Streaming"
and the Power Management Mode is set to:
“Prefer maximum performance”?

I just went and checked the Nvidia drivers and prefer maximum performance was NOT selected. It seems to have fixed the issue for now. I’ll run with it and see if that fixes it. More to come…(thanks again)

Thanks. I added a note to that effect in the Nvidia driver Wiki page.

out of curiosity John, why did that potentially fix the issue?

I don’t know for sure but my guess is Nvidia is no longer doing a good job of supporting the old OpenGL 2.0 specification that Rhino uses. We stayed with the old specification to be as compatible with inexpensive hardware as we could.
This has turned out to be a problem for people like you that buy high-end graphics card like the Quadro. Since Nvidia still claims to support OpenGL 2.0 so we thought we were OK. That turns out to have been a bad bet. OpenGL 2.o is like supporting Windows XP when everyone has moved on to Windows 8.1.
V6 will require a higher OpenGL specification to minimize these problems.