Group object to be kept inside while nesting

Hi all.
Not sure if this case had been sorted and I apologize if this sounds repeating.
I daily receive several files as the “dwg” attached here, in which I have to keep all information inside a shape to be kept in while nesting it and numbering. You may find another typical example in “703218 IMPIANTI.3dm” file.
Not able to use ID method, because it seems not to keep all objects inside the main shape and seems not to accept all types of data.
I use to organize the shapes manually, putting in a sheet and sorting cutting lines by writing one.
Please, may you help me in doing this job correctly, as I’ve not been able to do it?
I will thank you for you effort.
Kind regards
FUXBMTRVJ0200_SOLO RIFILI.dwg (5.2 MB)

NESTING FINAL.gh (14.7 KB)
703218 IMPIANTI.3dm (721.6 KB)

From the file you posted above:

If I understand correctly, this is your goal:

This is what I did:

• Group the objects at the bottom.
  • Create a rectangle to nest your shapes into and reference it in the GH definition below.
  • Reference the grouped objects with the Guid component in the definition below.

This shows the preview of the output of the OpenNest component.

If you toggle the Run input of the Transform Guid component from FalseTrueFalse then disable the grasshopper preview, you get this:

The nested objects will be grouped with their sources. You can sub-object select the nested shapes and un-group them or move them to another layer. Or you could sub-object select the grouped shapes at the bottom and delete them if you don’t want to keep them.

Be sure you toggle the Run input of the Transform Guid component back to False or you could end up baking multiple copies of your nested shapes.

703218 IMPIANTI_re.3dm (732.8 KB)

NESTING FINAL_re.gh (12.2 KB)

-Kevin

Thanks so much, @kev.r .
The way you solve is pretty simple, but it needs to draw polylines or rectangles for each group of objects.
My goal is to simplify this procedure at most and try to find a way to “encapsulate” curves in polylines.
What I’ve done is to offset a polyline around my curve as boundary, based on a specific layer, and my will is to use it with OpenNest RhinoObjects. Unfortunately these boundaries haven’t got any GUID, so the plugin fails. Any clues?
I’m attaching here another couple of files that fail to be pipelined in RhinoObjects because their contours are not polylines.

FUXBMTRVJ0200_SOLO RIFILI.3dm (376.5 KB)
P4073 625854 FUSTELLE - IMPIANTI.3dm (4.8 MB)

I forgot to upload GH file
NESTING FINAL_re_re.gh (13.3 KB)
:upside_down_face:

Little gift:

NESTING FINAL_re_re Petras.gh (31.5 KB)

3 Likes

What could I say? Crazy!!! You made my day, Petras.
All of my respect for your skill!!! You’re a genius!
I’m pretty sure you will implement it in next OpenNest release!
Great job.
All my best,

1 Like