Ground plane size v6 and v7

With Ground plane checked in Backdrop, I was expecting an infinite plane. It appears to be infinite left and right of my model, but trimmed to just in front and just behind of my model. Is there a setting to adjust its size?

Hello - is this different in rendered display mode compared to the output from the Render command?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,
It is different, but I suspect not right. Here’s an image of the modelling window:

With reference to my other post ‘Problem displaying 360 environments’, note the 360deg environment set.
Here’s the rendered view:

I’m thinking I have a problem file. Setting the scene in a new file gives this:

Sorry, I can’t send the problem file.

Hello - if you turn on the camera (f6) for the vierwport, does that show the near and far clipping that corresponds to the cut off of the ground plane? Are there objects far away, especially behind, the camera?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,
Armed with that info, I’ve read a little more and found:

The setting View properties/Viewport/Parallel gives rise to the issue I have, while setting Perspective sets an infinite plane (to the horizon/clipping plane).

This also answers my other posted question ‘Problem displaying 360 environments’. Viewport Parallel switches off the 360deg environment, Perspective allows the displaying of it.

Is this expected behaviour? Are there any options settings which affect this behaviour.

Thank you.

Hi Richard - I don’t know that it is exactly designed behavior, more that the display is set up for perspective viewports and parallel ones just get what they get…

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,
Okay. I understand better how it works now.
Thank you.