Grasshopper Style Door/Window Frame

Hello,

I made a double sliding door in Grasshopper and I would like to have the outside frame the same width as the wall opening. Is there a way to take the total wall thickness as input for the GH definition?

On the left is my double door and on the right is the default VA hinged door.

Hi @brglez.primoz,

Yes, you should set the name of the input as %<this.host.thickness>%
This way you can access the thickness property of the host object, which is the wall.
You can use this syntax to access other properties too.

This is the example GH definition that is used in the tutorial about Grasshopper styles for windows and doors.
Sliding-door-style-(mm).gh (21.7 KB)

https://www.visualarq.com/learn/grasshopper-styles/doors-windows/

Kind regards

1 Like

Hello @fsalla, is there documentation available for the special syntax in VA GH styles? Is there more than %<this.host.thickness>%? Thanks

Hi Silvano,
You can identify the strings of the host properties that you can reference with the syntax, by using the Property Names component:

1 Like

Awesome, thank you

Suppose I’m building a grasshopper style of a door. Could I reference the opening side that the user inputs when the object is inserted on the model? If yes, how would I reference that property %<this.openingSide>%?.

Best

Hi @Filipe_Brandao,

Yes, you can access “Opening Side” property using this feature. %<this.openingSide>% seems right to me.

Enric

Hello @enric,

It does not work as I expected. Changing the property Opening Side on the object properties panel for the door does not change the door orientation. Actually noting changes at all. Also the aperture property is not available on the UI:

Captura de ecrĂŁ 2022-09-02 163334

Which leads me to two questions:

The door elements have a number of properties that can be accessed inside grasshopper as @fsalla demonstrated in his post above. These properties are, as I understand it, standard object properties of VA objects. When I’m creating a grasshopper style all the inputs become new object properties which are specific to the style I created. This great in many ways since I’m free to add whatever properties I feel are needed. But for consistency sake it would be good to be able to reuse the standard properties already available in VA. This would ensure consistency for the end-users and would greatly simplify the development of styles with grasshopper for VA.

So how can I reference standard object properties inside grasshopper in a way that changing them in the UI results in the normal behaviour?

Another thing that is also useful is to set specific properties to some value, e.g., a door style that can only be aligned to the interior could have the property alignment set inside grasshopper.

How can I set object properties inside grasshopper for downstream use?

I was tweaking with the definition above and replaced my custom Value List with the Opening Side (List) component of VisualArq to see if it would work. Now creating a style with that definition consistently crashes Rhino. I also noticed that the Opening Side (List) has the values for Left and Right switched relative to what are the properties of a door object that is referenced to Grasshopper. Don’t know if that is the cause.

Best

Hi @Filipe_Brandao,

Can you please send me the crashing definition to visualarq@asuni.com so I can look at this crash? I’ll laso check why using %<this.openingSide>% doesn’t work.

Thanks,

Enric

Hi Filipe,

This is not possible right now, because objects created with GH styles are ruled by custom parameters and there’s no way to match them with the standard object parameters. We can study the way to make it possible.

Take into account that the “Opening Side” values inside the %<this.openingSide>%Value list" should be “0” and “1”, corresponding to “Left” and “Right”

@enric I already sent the file.

That would be great!