Grasshopper rectangular pipe accuracy issue

Hi everyone!

I am currently in the process of making a wooden chair like this

essentially its based on a 35 cm radius sphere with 43 (+35 for the radius) cm lines running to its centre

so deleting all the not useful stuff leave me with sth like this

I then try to sweep rectangular (2 times 2 units) rail thru the lines? however these lines they are not that “accurate” or regular? for example after i baked the model if i rotate it by 90 degree we can see that its not perfectly matched

I wonder if theres a better way that can make the mapping of these 2*2 pipes “regular” and symmetrical in 4 directions.

Thank you!!!

Desktop.7z (710.1 KB)

I then try to sweep rectangular (2 times 2 units) rail thru the lines? however these lines they are not that “accurate” or regular? for example after i baked the model if i rotate it by 90 degree we can see that its not perfectly matched

Missing photo ._. sorry

Hello - it looks to me like you’re running into the fact that the rows of rectangles cannot meet at 90 degrees on the corners on a sphere - something has to give - it is the most noticeable at the extreme corners but it’s there all over the pattern.

Here’s a different way to compromise if the shapes must be square-section, which I am guessing is the case -
SquaresMappedToSphere.3dm (107.3 KB)

It’s not GH but that should be possible, I’ll take a look later.

-Pascal

1 Like

Thanks Pascal for the kind help.
Eventually, I did something similar: I swept and capped the projected rays using grasshopper, then manually rotate the extreme angle sticks along the projected rays and ended up with something I want.
Thank you so much :smiley: