Grasshopper Player (custom tools & wish list)

that’s what I thought. looking fwd to 7.13!
thnx @nathanletwory

Sorry, my mistake. I thought the fix had already gone out in the last public R7 SRC.

1 Like

in the meantime, some crude experiments (wouldn’t mind having similar features
in Rhino 8 :wink: )

8 Likes

Hi @yelenaye
Thanks for posting these wonderful examples and for sharing your ideas and achievements. Great work really wonderful and imaginative.
Are you kit bashing? This looks like 3dcoats 2021 kit bash piping room tools.

But you’re asking Rhino to be parametric the programmers hate that and want users to solve that on their own. I too wish for these improvements ala your examples.
RM

true :sweat_smile:

not particularly but that would probably be the closest thing in my mind
used to do a few Kit-Bashing like tools in modo :wink:

some newer & fav features (GH Player):
(most of these were requests in forum @ some point :wink: :champagne:

1. now once in the command, all rhino geo is locked
  2. ‘Get Boolean’ component: nice to do conditionals
    BOOLS
  3. ‘Delete Input’ this one is super useful
    deleteinput
  4. ‘AT Least & Most’ options: col way to control/limit input values.
    and also moves the script to the next input automatically if the limit was reached (like 1).
    minmax
  5. now, predefined numbers are displayed in the command line. very useful to see the relationship between GH geo and current settings.
  6. Geometry Type Filter: avoids accidental selections or easier for window selection.
  7. now you can reference edges, surfaces directly from Breps (like sub-selection)

Ghosting:
did a quick GH Player test on v8 WIP & seems like ghosting is still there (no Kangaroo bits).
and ‘Undo’ command line option still terminates the script.

Update*
-the devs are prob already aware, but I can avoid ‘ghosting’ by turning off visibility on all nodes, this sacrifices visual cues but at least it leaves a clean viewport.
-(rhino locking up post GH player commands is mostly attributed to ‘Grab’)

This is definitely a better flow (using GHplayer in the command line rather than buttons):

7 Likes

Are these features only available in the R8 WIP or are they in the most recent R7 RC?

Dan

these are personal experiments using https://www.rhino3d.com/features/grasshopper/player/

The programmers already made Rhino totally capable of being parametric by adding named selections. All that’s holding it back is a weird refusal to provide a versatile and intuitive UX in front of this existing capability.

If they give us access to named selections in Grasshopper, Rhino will be capable of being usefully parametric.

If the devs let us reference a Rhino named selection of one or more subobjects in grasshopper and transform them, Rhino effectively will have a params function similar to Fusion’s.

1 Like

context bake needs an “attributes” input just like the bake components in Elefront and Human, and that probably means GH needs a native attributes component.

And as long as I’m wishing for things, GH2 should be able to reference objects in Rhino and pass them through GH components while maintaining their attributes unless we intentionally alter the attributes.

I should be able to reference a blue curve named “blue curve” on Layer 1, transform it in grasshopper, change it’s color attribute to orange, change it’s name to “orange curve” and when I context bake it, it should end up going back to Layer 1. If there’s an orange curve on Layer 2 that’s referenced in the same definition, it should default to carrying it’s attributes through the definition, too, so that if I turn it blue but don’t change it’s layer, it defaults to getting baked back to Layer 2.

2 Likes

this was def in my wish list in a post somewhere at the top of this thread (so many possibilities)

prob already on their list
yes, with GH2 (hopefully on its way) and GHplayer maturing, it’s def going to change the limits of
what you can do. It is a great feature & has already made good progress giving the small team (Steve? :sweat_smile:)

2 Likes

The question of how to implement named selection access is interesting, because there’s potential for breaking things, I think.

So my first thought would be to have a dead end transform component, like custom preview, with the zigzag on the right side, and to have an input for the named selection, below which would be a transform input, with the ability to click a plus and add more, so the transformations are sequential.

1 Like

Hi @yelenaye . First, I wanted to say impressive work! Keep posting. Secondly, I’m looking into the ‘ghosting’ issue that you’ve reported a couple of times. I believe I know where the issue is coming from, but I’m also having trouble repeating the issue that you’re showing. Do you have an example file that you could share where this ghosting is persistent after you run the GH Player? Does it always show up in the viewport regardless of the display mode (ie. wireframe, shaded, rendered, etc.)?

hey @AndyPayne, thnx for looking into this! yes, ghosting shows up in all view modes.
just tested on the latest release as well. I made a dummy GH testing file. just draw box
and run the player.Ghosting_Test.gh (5.6 KB)

1 Like

Hi @yelenaye. I’m not sure I’m seeing the same “ghosting” artifacts that you’ve shown in previous videos (at least on my machine). Below is a gif I created in v8 (but I tried your file in v7 too). After, the GH Player command is called, I do not see any other grasshopper artifacts showing up in the viewport. Is this what you see on your machine?
Ghosting_Test

oh that’s weird @AndyPayne
what ver are you running?
here’s what I get:

Hmm. I’ve tested this on Rhino 8 (8.0.21313.12305) and Rhino 7 (7.13.21313.11001) and I don’t see any ghosting on my machine (Windows). I do think I might know what’s causing it, but I just need to find a way to test it. I’ll see if I can get some other internal dev people to test it on their machines and see if anyone has the same thing you’re seeing.

Thnx! I tested on my desktop, latop, V7, V8 and all the same
I do appreciate the attention to this issue

Could you do me a favor. Do you think you could remove any plugins you might have installed (just move them to some temporary folder on your desktop) and then try running your Grasshopper Player command and see if the ghosting still persists. We can’t seem to replicate the ghosting issue here and one thought was that it could be one of your plugins which might be keeping the display pipeline open.
If you remove all of your plugins and then the ghosting issue is resolved, then we can start adding the plugins back one-by-one and try to determine which one might be the culprit.

got it! will keep you posted