Grasshopper Player (custom tools & wish list)

Thank you @diff-arch
Such an obvious and simple path… how did I miss it :slight_smile:

with best regards
Akash

so I think the ‘Script’ component doesn’t work with GH Player :sweat_smile:
do you think the tweak in the solver (to avoid selection window during multiple solvers) can be expected?

I think it’ll depend on the tool, but that’s the fun part about coming up with some cool solutions ; )

The Script components should work with the GH Player(after you’ve saved them with the assembly reference location resolved) - are you getting an error?
(Also - we’re looking at changing things for future versions so the Kangaroo dll file is located automatically)

I’m going to see if there’s anything that can be done about the selection window with multiple running solvers/grabs.
However, my preferred solution would be to somehow make it easier to setup these sorts of directional dependencies in a single solver instance (but I see that chaining them together in this way is a smart workaround for now).

no error, I just don’t get any output (works perfectly in reg GH environment)

this would be amazing! since a lot of fun stuff can be done with multiple dependencies.

yep! it’s def not a bad way to work for now!
thank you!

Ah, I see - In the file I shared above it isn’t already set up as a GH Player definition with Get and Bake components.
Here’s one that is
onActiveCurve_player.gh (26.7 KB)
One funny thing here is that if the only interaction you want comes from the grabbing, and the geometry is already internalised in the definition, you still need to include some ‘Get’ component to make the GhPlayer work.
In this definition there’s a dummy ‘GetNumber’ component that isn’t actually used, it’s just there to stop the command completing before you’re done interacting.

that’s really odd! I did a version where geo is needed, and got no results (see the file)
(just draw the ‘diagonal’ line and a reference a small ‘square’)
script onActiveCurve.gh (18.0 KB)

Try this:
onActiveCurve_.gh (19.5 KB)

I noticed I needed to turn the ‘Realtime’ option off for the GetLine, otherwise it creates lots of extra points in the sim as you draw it. It also still needs that dummy number input to stop the command ending early.

cool! I matched my def to yours & still have the issue (something funky going on somewhere). gna mess w it a bit & see what’s breaking :sweat_smile:
but def gd to know script components work w the player ; )

this was fun! (native Kangaroo bits, 1 solver)

29 Likes

Wow. a great example. sliders linked to kangaroo minimal surface?

no meshing here, just some hacks :sweat_smile:

lil archviz wip:

11 Likes

GH slows down significantly dealing with boolean operations, so trying this idea where 2 versions of definitions for one tool (one is for quick viz without booleans, very fast, streams the data to txt files & the other basically ghost builds the detailed model with booleans via command line).
I wonder if there’s a way to import txt files in GHplayer (or wish list @stevebaer ; )
and also, a dummy GHplayer component to ‘pause’ (for eg, currently if only ‘Get Points’ is needed, the script would end & exit after entering the ‘points’) would be super helpful.

5 Likes

Have you tried the multi threaded boolean components in Sasquatch? They really improve speeds when using lots of objects.

Importing text/image/other filepaths as inputs through GHplayer would be a great feature and could open up some really cool workflows!

1 Like

for sure!
looks like there’s a tiny gain w Sasquatch :sweat_smile:
diff

1 Like

something satisfying about making connections by plugging things up!
(have to think about suitable functionality :thinking: )

24 Likes

need to inject some art into this!

26 Likes

@yelenaye Just tried out GH Player for the first time and immediately thought the same. I got it working using a C# component from here: Delete object - #5 by Mahdiyar

It just asks for an Integer Input at the end if you want to delete the source or not and its working fine.

The script just takes some input objects and places them onto the closest point of a target object. At the end you enter 0 or 1 to delete the source objects or not.

What in my opinion is still missing for GH Player is to do a “Get Boolean” where it just asks for yes or no. Also a “Get Option” where its basically an option list in GH and then it asks for which option to pick and in GH just outputs the number.

place_object.gh (23.5 KB)

1 Like

Update: Made a better version that uses OpenNest’s “Transform Guid”, so it actually just moves the Geometry in Rhino and doesn’t bake a copy of it. That way it keeps all materials and so on, since I want to use it with Vray Cosmos.

In case anyone is interested: place_object_guid.gh (28.3 KB)

I feel like its an exciting time of basically being able to make our own Rhino commands. Now we just need the same options as when you do “Save User Object”, where you set the name, icon and chose the location, except this time it adds it into a Rhino Toolbar and not a GH toolbar.

2 Likes

These are on the “list” at
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-57897
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-57836

1 Like