Grasshopper Objects?

Hi Everyone,
I was wondering if it were possible to associate a grasshopper definition to a defined Geometry in Rhino and Execute it right away.

The Problem I would like to solve is to create “sort of” parametric elements within Rhino to handle “part libraries” better.

Example: Coat Hook

I created a GH Definition for a Coat hook.
It has one Geometric Input (a curve) and a lot of numerical Sliders inside

If I would like to handle several coat hooks at a time I would have to either, “set” the curve to each hook line one by one, or use “set on multiple curves”. Since I didn’t handle the Data trees correctly multiple curves will not get me anywhere, without some additional effort.

However, If I could associate a GH Definition to a geometry and handle the numeric parameters through a user Interface associated toe the object (Like a RCP associated to an Object)

It would be like a parametric Block. (If I explode it, the GH Definition is gone and only the geometry will be baked to the document.

A few Benefits of that approach:

• I could handle several Elements with the same GH definition, but different paramenter configurations at a time
  • I could run several GH definitions at the same time within one document. (A coat hook, a chair, a table)
  • Users would not have to go into Datatrees as deep (as this concept is quite challanging for beginners)
  • I could handle part libraries more efficiently (Screws in different lengths, tables in different sizes, Steel Profiles) rather than Blocks for each instance.
  • I could read out parameters of these components and could convert them into other file formats. (Way simpler to create a Revit family if you know the driving parameters)
  • I could handle Layers, Properties and so on outside of GH. Basically inherit the Object Properties from the driving geometry
  • if the parameters are accessible through code that be really great!

The possibility to associate executable code (GH or RhinoCommon) to an object and set parameters that drive the Geometry at runtime and recalculate as soon as a parameter is changed would be a great feature.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks
Martin

hooks.gh (18.3 KB)

I’m not quite sure I fully understand, but perhaps the possibilities that are enabled by using the standard “Geometry Pipeline” component might resolve at least some of this. It allows you to feed geometry objects from the Rhino document based on layer/type/name and automatically updates on changes to the Rhino document (essentially providing a live link between the Grasshopper and Rhino document that doesn’t break associations in the same way as normally referencing objects does).

If you want to apply a GH Definition to a Geometry is currently as follows:

• Open GH
  • Choose the Geometry Input Parameter (“crv” in the example above)
  • Click “Set on Curve”
  • Choose the curve and change parameters
    … everyting is caluculated
  • Bake the geometry

What I want is the following:

• Choose a Curve
  • Go to the properties Tab
  • Associate an already defined GH Def to the curve (coat hook)
  • The parameters are now displayed like the RCP
  • Change the parameters as you wish
  • The Element is recalculated with every parameter change.

(Ideally the geoemtric result would be clickable)

Grasshopper should not have to be opened. I could associate the same Definition to another geometry. The Parameter values could be differnent for each curve. And I could at the same time calculate several objects.

If there is a surface somewhere to which I would like to address the “Table.gh” definition, I could do that and both coat hook and table would be displayed. I would not have to open GH and switch the current GH definition.

Just saw the new Feature From ASUNI VisualARQ

The idea went kind of that way.

@fsalla would be the person to talk to if you want to try this out. I’m sure the VARQ team would appreciate some feedback.

@MartinIC, @AndersDeleuran We have just published a step by step tutorial to create VisualARQ object styles from Grasshopper definitions: http://www.visualarq.com/support/tips/13521/
Let me know if there’s any doubt or question.

Cheers,

1 Like