Grasshopper is very slow even with changing radius of 36 spheres

Hi,
I just started learning grasshopper and was trying out creating spheres using series and cross-reference. So, I created this 6 x 6 grid with spheres on it, and while I was trying to change the radius of these spheres, it takes 3 seconds to change these 36 spheres’ radius.
Furthermore, changing from 6x6 to 7x7 grid takes around 6 seconds. Is this normal? The tutorial I saw didn’t have this much lag. I have a decent laptop with RTX 2070 and i7-9750, so I don’t think it’s my laptop that’s underperforming. Is there a setting that I need to change to make my grasshopper function more fluidly? Thanks!!

The GH file is attached below. It is really simple, but why is it so slow :frowning:
spheres.gh (7.2 KB)

1 Like

yes spheres are slow by default, due to the mesh settings. Attached with custom mesh should run a lot faster.
spheres.gh (7.5 KB)

1 Like

CrossRef is generating 216 points/spheres, not 36. Remove the third input to CrossRef and you get 36 points/spheres.

By the way, it’s generally a bad idea to run data through a text panel.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your answer!! Your attachment runs much faster! One more question, how should I make the sphere custom mesh?

Thank you so much for your answer!!

spheres_meshed.gh (8.4 KB)

like this, this should also run faster because here only once the sphere has to be meshed

2 Likes

I would do it like this, using MSphere (Mesh Sphere):

spheres_meshed_2020May26a
spheres_meshed_2020May26a.gh (6.9 KB)

2 Likes

Thank you!!!