Grasshopper for Mac available for testing

That’s what I meant :wink:

1 Like

Please keep in mind this is very fresh, untested code.
It’s not “production ready” software.

I’m going through tutorials, exercising the parameters and components, logging bugs as I go.

If you have spare time to poke your way through the tools you use and report the specifics of what you find that doesn’t work, it would be helpful.

1 Like

This is exciting!!

Is it a 64bit Multi-threaded app? :o

If you use Amethyst (a window manager similar to i3 on Linux) you can fix that issue.

The num palate does not work properly. You cannot enter any numbers or at least it will not keep them.

Thx. Logged here: http://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/MR-2521

1 Like

It’s the same bit-depth as Rhino for Mac. GH is not multi-threaded.

ah ok. thanks!

Manage Number Collection doesn’t work either and it is on the bug list too.

1 Like

Hello. I’ve encountered two bugs that crash Rhino.

1. When dragging Hue slider in Documents Preview Settings
  2. RMB on Loft’s Options node
    P.S. Thanks a lot for this useful insect!

Unfortunately, I didn’t notice your post until after I had submitted mine. If I had, I doubt I’d have bothered since your version was effectively equivalent.

The other funny thing is that probably due to settings on my browser, sometimes a post won’t be visible to me. So after I saw your entry I couldn’t find my one. :blush:

While I am impressed by this announcement (I was imagining 1-2 years to encounter grasshoppers doing explicit things on a Mac), the most surprising feature is one you wouldn’t expect – I noticed that while the UI doesn’t (yet?) properly conform to Apple human interface guidelines, it was however presented in true international English (i.e. non-US spellings). Not even Apple have got around to “translating” their programmes that way. :grin:

Funnily enough, GH has that feature even though Rhino itself still uses US spelling.

Everything David writes is in ‘European English’.

And my accent is Mid-Atlantic.

2 Likes

I am still fairly new in using Rhino, and I have watched several tutorials about GH on YouTube. I have a question to make sure that I understand at least part of GH correctly.

Would GH, among other things, allow me to change the diameters of tubes in models like these easily and quickly by using the sliders for diameters?

and

Currently I have to go all the way back to earlier points in the models and more or less start over.

Eventually, potentially yes, if you learned how to use it.
However, Grasshopper on Mac Rhino will not be ready for this sort of “production work” for quite some time.

Your cart is WAY out in front of the horse…

I think it is worth trying if you are up to experimenting with very early WIP software. The functionality should actually be there. Please make sure to work with copies of your models in case things go bad.

You may want to look at this site for learning about generative jewelry design and grasshopper

“Production work”? What do you mean by that?

I was just asking if I understood the functionality of GH correctly based on a number of videos I have seen online in which seemingly the kind of commands I asked about were used.

Let’s define it as work you’re doing for your customer that you expect to be paid for.

And work which has a deadline which will reflect badly upon you if you don’t make it.

If job Z needs to be done in 5 days, and tried-and-tested method A will do the job in 3 days, give yourself 2 days to toy around with (potentially superior) method B. If after 2 days you haven’t got the result you were after (no matter how close!), revert to method A.

To answer your question specifically, yes Grasshopper will be able to apply pipes around curves and make the radii of those pipes depend upon some slider or value or csv file or … or … . You may also be able to generate a lot of the pipe base curves using Grasshopper components, reducing the amount of manual labour even further. But for the time being I wouldn’t bet my career/good name/income/love life/caloric intake on GH being able to deliver results.