Grasshopper default display glitch

Hope I haven’t missed a similar post on this previously - I am experiencing very strange Grasshopper preview display in the latest WIP (6.0.16327.14151, 11/22/2016). I am just using the default GH display - but I get a funny “ghosting” where the geometry repeats itself at different scales when zooming. Curve display is not effected - only surface/mesh display. Attached gif shows proper display at first and then funny “ghosting.”

my video/gfx settings:
NVIDIA Corporation
GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL version: 4.2.0
Render version: 4.2
Shading Language: 4.20 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
Driver Date: 8-30-2012
Driver Version: 9.18.13.623

Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 1 GB

just some more detail - even points and other “vector” display seems to leave a trace on top of meshes in this ghosting behavior.

same issue on a diff machine:
NVIDIA Corporation
Quadro K2100M/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 353.82
Render version: 4.5
Shading Language: 4.50 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 8-7-2015
Driver Version: 10.18.13.5382

Total Video Memory: 2 GB

What is the viewport display mode? I noticed ghosting in some like arctic, artistic, etc. If it is dependent on a display mode, I’ve filed a bug:

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-36217

It seems to be happening in all display modes including wireframe :confused:

:frowning: indeed. I’ll add your data to the bug.

Are you both still able to reproduce this issue?

Yes, the glitch has gone away. However, rendered viewport performance when zooming is now extremely slow (not sure if this is new, certainly didn’t notice before). Seems to be related to skylight-based shadows - non-skylight shadows perform as expected. I can raise this as a separate issue if need be since the primary one this post referenced now appears to be corrected.

Which GPU are you using, the GT650M or K2100M? How is the performance when you rotate, as opposed to when you zoom? (I’m assuming you are using the mouse wheel when zooming as opposed to “ctrl+right mouse button”.

perfomance when rotating seems fine, normal. Issue is present on the K2100M, haven’t tested on the other machine. And yes, using mouse wheel scroll.

seems to be less of a problem today - I recently updated my WIP. Will let you know if I encounter anything strange - for now I wouldn’t worry about it.

agh. I spoke too soon @DavidEranen - the ghosting is back. It’s less pronounced but definitely present. I’m also getting a NEW and strange behavior of colored gridding showing up everywhere intermittently.

Interesting @andheum

Is there a Quadro K2100M in the Seattle office that could be used for testing? @BrianJ

How about you @jeff?

@andheum Could you try getting latest drivers for your video card? That would help eliminate one possible issue.

Thanks David - I’ve updated my drivers so now:

NVIDIA Corporation
Quadro K2100M/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 376.33
Render version: 4.5
Shading Language: 4.50 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 12-11-2016
Driver Version: 21.21.13.7633

Total Video Memory: 2 GB

However even prior to updating, I restarted Rhino and it behaved as expected. Tried reproducing the same steps - in the Rhino display environment and in GH - and nothing, everything looked normal. Will let you know if I can reproduce consistently. The things I was mucking about with in Rhino when it occurred were the rendered viewport, skylight, ground plane, shadows, etc… if that gives any clues. Will keep an eye on this and keep you appraised.

Okay, thanks. Keep us up to date!

also re: the slowness zooming in the rendered viewport, it seems to only occur when the skylight is on and only when using the mouse wheel - other modes of zooming and rotating are smooth. Gif below makes the “smooth” look choppier than it is, but you get the idea - first is mouse wheel scroll, then ctrl-right click drag:

Yep, I am aware of this and it’s on my list of things to look at.

I don’t have any Quadro cards here but it sounds like the driver update helped.

I believe this is a laptop card, so reproducing it on a desktop equivalent is most likely not going to happen. I can look for the K2100 I have (but I think I sent it to Scott or someone in Seattle). Why do we think it’s related to the card?