Grasshopper Caterpillar - 3D Printing on double curved surfaces

Hello dear community,
I am working on a script that allows 3D-printing on double curved surfaces with Caterpillar. The Add-On only allows using a rectangular infill, which is not what I desire, since it will be infused with carbon fiber. That’s why I decided to not use the provided slicer and work on my own way of creating the needed printing paths.
I have made it work so far, but now that the carbon fibre is coming into it, a little problem has come up.
Because of mechanical reasons I need the GCode to start at the lower X-coordinate and then move up to the higher one. The printer is basically starting at the wrong side of the surface. I’m pretty sure it is just a minor fix, but I can’t find a solution and would be very thankful for some help with it.

The red lines are my printing paths that will be turned into the GCode. The white polysurface is the underlying structure I will be printing on.

Here is my GH file (I have internalized the surface, hope it works):
Schaltung für Forum.gh (234.0 KB)

Thank you very very much!
Best wishes
Marleen

Hi Marleen,

Since all the curves are in the same direction, I’ve just added Flip Curve.

Schaltung für Forum_ME.gh (226.9 KB)

1 Like

Thank you so much! That saved my day.

Hi, I’m wondering where you have found the caterpillar plugin for 3D Printing ? The only one I’ve found is a unit conversion tool… I guess it is not the good one ?
Thanks

Hi,

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/332411149_Caterpillar_-_A_Gcode_Translator_in_Grasshopper

This is a link to the paper. Maybe you can contact the author.

Yes, I read this paper and that’s why I was looking for the plugin.
Did you ask the author to get it ?

I asked the author and he gave it to me :slight_smile:
Thanks

1 Like