Grasshopper and Substance issue

So Im designing a new base for a friend’s speakers (brand in the picture)… Obviously his wife had another idea about rounded corners where this issue happened first, and later changing the height of the main block to carve with a CNC.

It’s not a complicated GH script, I created the insert shape of the speaker to remove from the block
And while all is great if I dont use substance, eh, no i checked and it’s not ok with normal wood texture from rhino (walnut - after reassiginng from the subjstance material) build. So the issue is I get these ultra hacked up renders…

This is what is rendered compared to correct model at left.

The shape is created with subtracting elements and the final shape is rendered using a substance material.

Im new to substance as you can see (wood grain not aligned…) (any tips appreciated but not important in this case).

To fix this, i have to rewire the model (how it was using relays) OR (because this doesn’t always work) enable preview or modules and then after tinkering for 5 minutes, the model comes right…

I also tried using a dam, no relays… I can’t put my finger on what will trigger the right render. But eventually it comes.

Hopefully my files are complete. I did internalize the textures in the 3dm files and the curves in the GH model - I also hope sharing this file doesn’t break any copyrights, trademarks. I will remove it if so… Just trying to show a render issue.

debug baseplate (84.7 KB)
debug Import base plate.3dm (7.2 MB)

I cannot recomend the brand as i have not heard these speakers yet, my boss likes them.

About the GH model

I put the sliders in cyan round groups to cause the issue and far right the preview of the model that is affected.

I think it’s a bug, not sure. Hope it’s not an already documented issue. Couldn’t find it…

Is it a render issue? Maybe this will help. it shows how to align the material in the direction you desire.


1 Like

That’s a really interesting video. I often get stuck figuring out how to make woodgrain textures look right. He got it wrong in this video because in reality the end grain would be in a different direction but the principles explained are spot on.

It also made me realise that I am a Grasshopper user way more than a Rhino user and perhaps I should do more to develop my Rhino skills because I think I’ve only scratched about 5% of what Rhino can do.

Thanks Bill,

I will give it a try…

The mystery deepens…

Now my exports to STL are also resulting in chunky parts. No matter what program I test.
DXF export works right (in red)

Left side = import from dxf, right side = stl import.

Yet it works fine with RhinoCAM.

Although as i said earlier, if GH render goes chunky, fixing it can be nerve testing repluging things until it works again Just the final render part.

So here is the way to make the problem appear

To cause the issue, link the relay in the red group to the parameter on it’s right.

baseplate 1.65 debug (55.6 KB)
Import base plate 1.65 debug.3dm (7.1 MB)

Sorry if the GH model is not clean optimized as should be (it’s a work in progress).
(started in MM (because cm doesn’t work for RhinoCAM plug in), then realized all measures were in inches (got fooled by the M1 hole diameter and the template so adjusted on the fly without care for speed as it was speedy enough.