Grasshopper and Rhino WIP for mac crashing when saving

I have been using rhino WIP with grasshopper on mac 10.12.5. Every time I try and save either the Rhino or the Grasshopper file it crashes with this message:

System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
Parameter name: startIndex
at System.String.Substring (Int32 startIndex) [0x00000] in :0
at System.IO.KqueueMonitor.PostEvent (FileAction action, System.String path, System.String newPath) [0x00000] in :0
at System.IO.KqueueMonitor.Monitor () [0x00000] in :0
at System.IO.KqueueMonitor.DoMonitor () [0x00000] in :0

StackTrace:
at System.String.Substring (Int32 startIndex) [0x00000] in :0
at System.IO.KqueueMonitor.PostEvent (FileAction action, System.String path, System.String newPath) [0x00000] in :0
at System.IO.KqueueMonitor.Monitor () [0x00000] in :0
at System.IO.KqueueMonitor.DoMonitor () [0x00000] in :0

. I have attached the grasshopper file.

Any help much appreciated!!

ARTWORKING MASTER FILE.gh (1.8 MB)

Thanks for submitting the report and the file. That file takes quite a while to load on my computer, but it does not crash during a save operation here. Can you please post the system information you find when you navigate to RhinoWIP > About Rhinoceros > More info… > Copy to Clipboard ?

Software information

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.4 WIP (5E92w)
Rhinoceros path: /Applications/RhinoWIP.app
IronPython version: 5.1.2015.131
WIP expiration: 14 July 2017
Language: en-GB (MacOS default)
macOS version: Version 10.12.5 (Build 16F73)

Plug-ins
None

Third party kernel extensions
com.logmein.driver.LogMeInSoundDriver (4.1.82f21)
86DC53C8-7F53-30F1-B5D3-D96FB4FD8F0C

Hardware information

Computer hardware
Hardware model: iMac13,1
Processor: Intel Core i5-3470S CPU @ 2.90GHz
Memory: 8 GB
Architecture: Intel 64 bit

Video hardware
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB
Memory: 512 MB
Screen size: 1920 x 1080
Displays: iMac (103dpi 1x)

USB devices
Apple Inc.: FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)
Apple Inc.: Bluetooth USB Host Controller
Apple Inc.: iPhone

Bluetooth devices
Apple: Apple Wireless Keyboard

OpenGL information

OpenGL software
OpenGL version: 2.1 NVIDIA-10.17.5 355.10.05.45f01
Render version: 2.1
Shading language: 1.20
Maximum texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum viewport size: 16384 x 16384

Implementation settings
Use texture compression: No

Appearance settings
Antialiasing: 4x
Mip map filtering: None
Anisotropic filtering: None

Thanks. I don’t see anything there that would cause concern. What is the full path to the location you are trying to save the file? Does the same crash happen when you attempt to save to ~/Desktop?

Hey Dan,

Yes I have been trying to save into various places including the desktop. I
have also tried various computers!

Kind Regards

Hey @kirstieGMS,

I took a look into this as well, and we may not be able to replicate the issue because we don’t have the associated .3dm file that the .gh file references. Would you be able to attach that as well? This is also consequently why it takes many minutes to load for us, but could also be part of the saving problem.

Thanks!
Curtis.

Great thanks I will attach the file here now.

The file is too large to attach but here is the link to download it.

I found and fixed three problems that came up with this file. The long wait however is probably just due to 70,000 expressions all running and throwing exceptions because one of the inputs is null. Expressions aren’t too quick in GH1 so 70,000 of them will take some time to complete even on a good day. However I did adjust some of the warning UI so that the ID of a missing Rhino object is no longer included in warning messages, meaning that only a single warning will be logged now instead of 70,000 slightly different ones.

There was a problem with saving the Image Sampler object, something to do with storing relative paths in the *.gh file. This has been fixed on Windows, but I do not know when those fixes will get ported to Mac.

There was another problem with iterating over data trees that contained a large amount of consecutive nulls. This was a recursion stack overflow problem. Again, it’s been fixed, but on Windows only until GH for Mac gets updated.